1933 Plymouth PD gas pedal

Guest Bryn

Hi, can anyone tell me how the '33 gas pedal is attached. Mine says 'made in taiwan', so I guess its not original but have seen a couple of originals on a well known auction site. I think I have most of the original linkage and it looks like there was a ball fixture on the floor which might have fitted to a socket on the bottom of the pedal?

Hi Bryn, I missed your first post, I'm in North Devon working on a PD Rumble Seat Coupe, can't answer your problem but will need the answer one day, sure someone will solve it. Have you posted any photos of the car on here, the only other Kew I know of is in Norfolk.

Hi, can anyone tell me how the '33 gas pedal is attached. Mine says 'made in taiwan', so I guess its not original but have seen a couple of originals on a well known auction site. I think I have most of the original linkage and it looks like there was a ball fixture on the floor which might have fitted to a socket on the bottom of the pedal?
Think it is the same as the 34, there are two steel ball studs attached to the metal toe board (not the wood floor board) which basically pop into the back of the pedal at the bottom. Throttle linkage rod then comes up through the toe boar at about a 90 degree angle to the floor and inserts into the top, back side of the pedal. Weird setup but it works pretty well since it is a beefy linkage that can handle a lot of pressure. I will see if I can pull up a picture and send it your way. The pedals are fairly easy to find here in the states on ebay.

Think it is the same as the 34, there are two steel ball studs attached to the metal toe board (not the wood floor board) which basically pop into the back of the pedal at the bottom. Throttle linkage rod then comes up through the toe boar at about a 90 degree angle to the floor and inserts into the top, back side of the pedal. Weird setup but it works pretty well since it is a beefy linkage that can handle a lot of pressure. I will see if I can pull up a picture and send it your way. The pedals are fairly easy to find here in the states on ebay.

Thanks Scott, that all makes sense. I certainly still have one of the ball studs on the floor and think I can work out how the original linkage worked. The pedal I saw on ebay just had a series of holes on the back, so i guess the ball studs just push in? It's not an urgent job but I do like to get things back to original when possible!

Hi Bryn, I missed your first post, I'm in North Devon working on a PD Rumble Seat Coupe, can't answer your problem but will need the answer one day, sure someone will solve it. Have you posted any photos of the car on here, the only other Kew I know of is in Norfolk.

Hi, Good to hear of another car not so far away being restored! Can't remember if I have ever seen another Kew, maybe at the Rally of the Giants back in the 1980's? Can't be many left now. I see you posted a picture of the linkage from a right hand drive car on another thread, same linkage as mine though I don't have a steel bulkhead/firewall and some one has cut a bit of it off(!) There are some pics of my car on the PD page of ply33.com if you want to take a look.

Thanks Keen, Thats very helpful and I now know what I am looking for. I have one of the attachment points still in the floor so will look for the other mounting hole near it!

Missed this thread until now. Yes, the gas pedal "hinge" is where it pops on two ball studs screwed into the metal floor boards. I think Plymouth used that mounting system into at least the late 1940s. I don't know the actual dimensions of the '33 ball stud so I don't have a cross to a modern part number at this time. If you determine the size, thread count per inch, etc. we can match to a modern part and I will add it to my database: http://www.ply33.com/Parts/group14#14-01-18 (I'll try to put that on my list of things to do but it will be awhile as I am out of state at the moment.)

Some of the reproduced or replacement gas pedals have two holes at the top to cover two different spacing that were used over the years on different cars. Been a while since I got my replacement pedal but I am pretty sure I got it from either Bernbaum, or Roberts or Mitchell.

• 3 months later...

Todd

Do you still have my 33 PD listed on your site? Steve langis I had a real nice 33 PD 2 door unfortunately I sold it, still kicking myself on that one, just wanted to check on the window handle cranks to see if they match the ones on my 34 dodge, ( wrong cranks on this one ) looking to trade them for Dodge,if you know of anyone,, Thanks

Hi Steve,

Yes, I still have your photos on my site, look under Models->PD. Not sure what the '34 Dodge handles look like but it seems unlikely to me that they would be the same as interior trim details is one place that they did things differently to distinguish the different lines of cars.