66 Ford Galaxie Stalling Problems

Guest jmdennis

Guest jmdennis

Hi all,

I have a '66 Ford Galaxie 500 with a 390 engine and it keeps stalling in 2 different circumstances from what I can tell. Basically heat and road inclines seem to cause the stalling. It's very frustrating and I'm afraid to take my kids in the car because of it. I'm a computer guy and don't know engines well, but I am learning. Fortunately, a friend of mine is a mechanic and has helped me work on the car. I've owned the car for about 3 years now and it has been stalling throughout so this is not a new problem.

Here is when it stalls:

1) When the car is hot from sitting in the sun for a half to full day.

- I have a cool barn for long-term storage and when I first take it out, it runs great. I don't have a garage at home so when I park, I have to leave it outside in the sun, rain etc. so I can't prevent it from getting hot in the summer.

- The previous owner said he never had stalling problems and I do believe him. He kept the car parked in a cool garage all the time. He also lived on a completely flat road with a flat driveway.

2) The car stalls on slanted surfaces.

- When I park at work, the parking lot is just slightly inclined so the car faces very slightly uphill. At the end of the day, it starts and then stalls numerous times. When it does manage to stay running, it stalls as soon as I shift into gear. I have noticed it stalls faster when shifting into Reverse.

- When I come to the Stop sign at the end of our road, which is on a medium incline, it sputters as I stop, and frequently stalls when I step on the gas to enter the intersection.

- At home, we live on a very steep hill and the beginning of our driveway entrance is also inclined about 45 degrees for about 50' before it levels off. I get up our hill ok, but when I slow down and get half way up the driveway entrance, it sputters and usually stalls. Then, after I restart to go the rest of the 300' on the level driveway it stalls several more times.

Here is what I have tried:

1) Tried gas from several different stations.

2) Put in Ethanol & Lead additive every time I fill the tank.

3) Took apart the carburetor, cleaned it out, & put in new seals.

4) Tried 2 different fuel filters.

Does anyone have any insight on what might be causing this or, better yet, how to fix it? I greatly appreciate any replies.

Thanks, Mark

• 1 month later...
Guest dwhiteside64
It sounds like your idle speed is set to low.

Hi,

I have read that some wires (especially spark plug wires) are effected by what is called "heat soak". This is when the insulation breaks down when the outer core gets warm and causes a reduction is current flow and there could be firing issues that will cause the car to die. When is the last time you replaced the spark plug wires? Also the carb is effected as well because the heat can cause the fuel to "boil" in the fuel bowls. Modern fuels tend to evaporate quicker than what was available before the advent ethanol, so there could be a lean fuel issue occuring. This is something to check on anyway. Do you use a high octane fuel? Those big high compression V-8s love 93+ and run much better on it. :)

Both of the above responses are smart things to check. With the carburetor, make sure the float level is correct. If it's too low, that would explain your slanted pavement problems.

Also remember that resistance goes up with temperature, so the hotter it gets, the harder it is to make a spark. The wires are a good place to check, but I'd also check your coil. Coils are notorious for working perfectly when they're cool, they test just fine, but when they get hot they stop working without warning. Replacement coils for your car are available at almost any auto parts store or via the internet, so make sure you get the right one.

I suspect that you're having two separate problems, not one. Track down each one separately and see what you get. Start with the carburetor and set the float level correctly and see what happens. Then move on to the electrical system and see if you can remedy your hot start issue, which may also be helped by raising the float levels. Modern gas evaporates very easily, especially in the heat, so if your float level is too low, the carburetor bowls might be going dry out even during the period of a work day, causing your hard starting.

Good luck!