1963 300 Pace Setter question

Guest Kelsey

Guest Kelsey

I am looking at one of these cars and dont know alot about them.. Some pics show what appears to be a square steering wheel and others show a round (normal) wheel.

Could somebody tell me why this is?

Thanks

I believe that the Imperials and the Chrysler 300s in 1963 had the squarish steering wheel and the lower priced models had the round wheel. I could be wrong, but that is how I have seen them.

Guest Kelsey

This one is definitely the pace setter convertible and it has the round wheel.. Vin is a 8033XXXXX so car is correct.. just trying to find out some details before I decide to pick i tup or not.. Beautiful car...

Guest Kelsey

No this is not the true pace car but the pace setter consumer car.. So do only the officialpace cars have the square wheels? The way I read it..(internet) this is not the case

No this is not the true pace car but the pace setter consumer car.. So do only the officialpace cars have the square wheels? The way I read it..(internet) this is not the case

No....I am saying that I think only the Imperials and 300s have the square wheel. I have never heard of a "pace setter consumer car".

Guest Kelsey

The pace setter was the consumer 300 Car that they made very few of (1860 converts and 370 hard tops) they were a production car and that is what this is..

post-30646-143142655284_thumb.jpg

I see the car in my books, now. I actually DO remember seeing it a long time ago, but I am getting older and tend to misplace some of those memories. I also see what you mean about seeing both styles of wheels. I guess the only way to find the answer is to contact a couple of the owners with different wheels and see if they have ever replaced the steering wheel during a restoration. I can't see a lot of square wheels being available, so maybe the ones we are seeing have been changed out. You can also try here for owners/information....http://www.chryslerclub.org/

John

There was a 300 letter car which had a hopped up motor, special suspension and steering and other performance modifications. Then there was the plain 300 that had bucket seat interior and a bit of fancy trim here and there.

It sounds like you are looking at the plain 300 model.

The base price for a 300 hardtop was $3400. For a 300J the tariff was $5300.

There was a 300 letter car which had a hopped up motor, special suspension and steering and other performance modifications. Then there was the plain 300 that had bucket seat interior and a bit of fancy trim here and there.

It sounds like you are looking at the plain 300 model.

The base price for a 300 hardtop was $3400. For a 300J the tariff was $5300.

Nope....Kelsey is correct....

post-37352-143142655286_thumb.jpg

Guest Kelsey

OK who has driven one of these cars.. They seem very large and I have not driven one yet. They do have a lot of HP so are they a "boat" or a fun car to drive

They were a big tough roadable car. A favorite of ace car tester Tom McCahill. Torsion bar suspension, 3 speed Torqueflite automatic and big 383 or 413 cu in V8 engines. No smog control devices to slow you down.

If you are used to today's little **** pot cars you will think you are driving a Rolls with a jet engine. The size may take a little getting used to, and the "remote control" feel, but they are a great car if they are in good shape. More than capable of any trip you want to take on today's roads.

I don't know what your definition of fun is, but they are an enjoyable car to drive especially on the open road.

Let me put it this way. If you are a George Clooney or Humphrey Bogart fan, you will enjoy that car. If you prefer Leonardo DiCaprio or Justin Beiber, it's not for you.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest Kelsey

I'm going to check it out this Wed.. It has been in this family for about 40 years and the owner recently passed away so the family is selling it.. so the car has been well taken care of..

I also have a line on some real neat 2 dr convertibles

65 Dart, 61 Rambler ,62 Buick Skylark, 66 Olds 88, 66 Caddy, and 65 Galaxy... all in good shape and running.. thinking of buying the whole lot and keeping 1 of them so if anybody is looking for any of these cars, let me know.. I may have them soon

Guest Kelsey

I am waiting on the pics and the details on all the converts. They are about 7 hours away from me.. The Dart was the one I was interested in as well..LOL..

There isn't a lemon in the bunch with the possible exception of the Skylark if it has the aluminum engine. If it has been kept full of good antifreeze or corrosion inhibitor it may be ok, but if neglected they are prone to head gasket leaks and corroded coolant passages, nearly impossible to fix.

Likewise the Rambler, if it has one of the (rather rare) aluminum six cylinder engines.

Guest Kelsey

I have a 62 Olds F-85 convert with the 215 AL engine and it is a great car.. the Buick engine, I am told, is a tad different (heads etc) but the body is near identical.. The Dart has the slant 6 :( wish it had the V8.. Still waiting for info on the others..

Come on JOHN! Your not that OLD!HEHEHE:)

Well, I DO remember when I was 10 1/2 years old and in the pits at Indianapolis and took this with my Kodak Instamatic camera....

post-37352-143142657085_thumb.jpg

I was thrilled to get the trophy AND the pace car in the same shot. My Dad and me were sitting there behind the trophy and a few minutes later, the pace car pulled up.

Don't sell the slant six short. They are good performers especially in a light car like the Dart. Not a race car but plenty of power for normal driving, along with great gas mileage and extremely reliable and long lived. For a fun car you can drive every day you could do a lot worse.

And if you don't mind a modified car, Smokey Yunick said the slant six responded to a few simple modifications, more than any other engine he ever saw. He was referring to the Hyperpak kit available from Dodge dealers which increased horsepower by nearly 50%, from 101 to 148, with a few bolt on parts.

Guest Kelsey
Don't sell the slant six short. They are good performers especially in a light car like the Dart. Not a race car but plenty of power for normal driving, along with great gas mileage and extremely reliable and long lived. For a fun car you can drive every day you could do a lot worse.

And if you don't mind a modified car, Smokey Yunick said the slant six responded to a few simple modifications, more than any other engine he ever saw. He was referring to the Hyperpak kit available from Dodge dealers which increased horsepower by nearly 50%, from 101 to 148, with a few bolt on parts.

Good to know.. so can you still get this Hyperpak kit for the Slant 6?

The Hyperpak kit was sold by Plymouth dealers in 1961 or 62. It was made for a short time, and has been out of production for many years.

There are aftermarket parts like cams, intake manifolds, headers etc just like any other motor. I heard someone was going to reproduce the Hyperpak manifolds but don't know if they are available yet.

There seems to be quite a bit of information on the net about hopping up the slant six. They seem to have a lot more potential than most people give them credit for. They have a good head design and a strong bottom end, 2 things that are a real advantage.

Guest Kelsey

Just got back from going over the 300 with a fine tooth comb.. Car has zero rust and is in excellent condition...Not sure f it is the car for me..

So, is anybody on here interested in a cherry 300 for a decent price?