36 Buick bracket needed

Tom_S

Hello,

36 Buick series 40

Would anyone have an extra bracket that holds the front of the hood to the top of the radiator housing and also keeps the hood from sliding forward when opened? Photo shows front underside of the hood, the end of the brace rod on left and threaded hole right middle of photo that the bracket bolt fits in. The bracket goes from one side of hood to the other side and held down with 2 bolts.

Thanks

Tom

post-86558-143142653213_thumb.jpg

Tom,

There are actually two "brackets". The hood ornament is what keeps the hood from sliding forward, but there is also another bracket that slides into the chrome center strip. This second bracket is what holds the hood down. I've attached a picture that may help. On the right is the hood ornament mount and on the left is the hold down bracket. Unfortunately I don't have one. You might try Dave Tachney.

Greg

post-36877-143142655039_thumb.jpg

Greg,

Yes, it is the second bracket I need. I contacted Dave and he is to get back to me upon returning from Portland and a couple of other places. Off the top he thought he had a broken one, but will look when he gets home. If I had the broken one or maybe borrow one I could get a new one machined.

Thanks,

Tom

Greg,

I see how that bracket works now. I took off my ornament and raised up the hood. That bracket has a "t" machined on the top that slides into the chrome center piece and that is what holds the hood down and also keeps it from sliding forward every time the hood is opened. It has been gone a long time from my original car as there is no sign of it ever being on there. Car never out of family. Now to find or borrow one to have machined.

Thanks,

Tom

Interesting. I just replaced my hood and could not figure out what was supposed to be in those two holes. I don't think my 36 had the bracket when I bought car. Would be curious what it looks like. I have a bracket that I can't identify but believe it is off 41 plymouth pickup. It appears that it would mount on center of radiator but has a wire strap at top which is to hold wiring harness.

Tom -- When you hear from Dave please ask him if he has another and I will give him a call and purchase the bracket. Let me know if you don't mind. If you would prefer I contact Dave directly just let me know and I will be happy to. Hope this problem/mystery has solution.

Rod

Guest KeithElwell

Let us on the forum know how you do with Dave. Meanwhile I will check to see if I have a spare bracket but I don't believe that I do. If neither Dave nor I have a spare, I could remove mine from my car and draw it up to be machined. But that is not something I am anxious to do because I found it to be a pain to adjust the hood.

Keith, Greg, and Tom

Every once in a while I would wonder what the 2 threaded holes were for on my car, but never took a serious look until a few weeks back when I visited a restored 36 Buick just like mine in Richmond. I noticed the bracket bolted to those holes. However I did not understand exactly how the bracket worked, i.e., until Gregory explained that it slips into the chrome center hinge strip. My car also does not show any signs of there ever being a bracket mounted there. My hood slides forward every time I put it up and is a pain to bump back so it clears the body properly both front and rear. Yesterday I took off the hood ornament, propping up the hood with some wooden blocks and studied everything . The ornament will bolt into the other holes very well and the underside of the ornament is the same angle and hole to hole dimension to properly bolt up. So, I made a dimension drawing of how the bracket should look and then this morning I made a pretty close wooden mockup. Everything worked with a couple minor tweeks. Off to the machine shop this afternoon and my buddies are going to make me a bracket. There will probably be a few more tweeks once I get the metal one installed on the car to get the hood to lock up for good body clearance on either end as Keith has noted. I made it extra wide so that I had plenty of metal for adjustments.

Tom--- I would appreciate the photos to help with the making of my piece. Address below.

I will let you folks know how everything works out in a couple of days.

Thanks,

Tom

germoamer@aol.com

Keith, Greg, Tom,

Here are the photos of my wooden mockup for the bracket and then the one my buddies made for me out of stainless. The bent some flat stock, then welded the tee on, took a couple of machine cuts and done. The bracket is simply made without a lot of fuss. I will need to round the top to fit the chrome strip and may have to grind some clearance on the underside, but it will work and make my hood stay where it is supposed to. I have not hear from Dave yet to see if he located a bracket. I may call him this afternoon.

Tom- Do my brackets look like the photos you sent me! My dimensions sure are very close to your and not bad for my guess work.

Thanks for all the help.

Tom

Well, the hood bracket is complete. Photos of the filing I had to do to it to make it fit into the chrome center piece and the notch into it to adjust the hood for a nice gap of the hood to the grill and where it met the firewall body. Note the notch in back of bracket and the metal strip on underside of hinge butting into it. This is the stop to keep hood from sliding forward. As Keith aluded to it took several trials to get it adjusted properlu

Tom

Looks great. Any possibility your machinist friend would like to make one for me? Would be willing to pay for the effort. Did you ever speak with Dave to see if he had one? I have tried to call him several times but he must be out of pocket--still out of town.

Rod

Rod,

I have tried Dave too and get no answer. I talked with him just prior to Portland and he said he would be gone for a while. We talked about some other stuff including the bracket and he said he would get back to me upon return. Dave is pretty good about returning calls.

When we spoke he thought he had a broken bracket but not sure what else and would look for it and my other stuff when home.

I am sure my friends would make another one for minimal cost. But wait till Dave gets back to me. If I can get an original one, I might let you have mine.

Send me an email to my home and we can keep in touch that way.

Thanks,

Tom

germoamer@aol.com

Guest jstarrquin

Tom S. - I also need this bracket and would be more than happy to pay your machinist friend in advance for whatever he feels needed to make it worth his while. My e-mail is jstarrquin@msn.com where you can contact me for name and address. Any assistance you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Jim Q.