1927 fan hub questions

Pete Phillips

Working on my 1927 model 26-S, small series Country Club Coupe. The fan was frozen up on the hub. Took it apart and cleaned out all of the rust, water, and muck.

Question #1: Should there be a gasket between the fan hub and the fan? The surface of the fan hub has the little gear for the oil and apparently a grooved passageway for the oil or grease--if yes, would it be a metal gasket? (see second photo).

Question #2: Should there be a gasket between the fan bracket and the engine block? (first photo)

Thanks for any help on this. Shop manual doesn't address this.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

post-32059-143142649156_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142649166_thumb.jpg

Working on my 1927 model 26-S, small series Country Club Coupe. The fan was frozen up on the hub. Took it apart and cleaned out all of the rust, water, and muck.

Question #1: Should there be a gasket between the fan hub and the fan? The surface of the fan hub has the little gear for the oil and apparently a grooved passageway for the oil or grease--if yes, would it be a metal gasket? (see second photo).

Question #2: Should there be a gasket between the fan bracket and the engine block? (first photo)

Thanks for any help on this. Shop manual doesn't address this.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Pete,

#1 Yes, should be a thin gasket between the fan and hub. From memory this forms an oil reservoir to keep that spindle lubricated so if it is not sealed correctly you spray oil EVERWHERE.

Have you considered replacing the original oil lubricated bearing with a modern bearing? I think this procedure has been discussed on the Forum and Bobs Automobilia used to sell what was needed as a kit. Saves having to fill the reservoir with oil and stops the inevitable oil spray.

#2 No gasket used, just a supporting bracket ( fan bracket support ) and bolts straight onto the block.

Do you have the radiator out? If not you need to assemble the complete fan unit onto the fan bracket support and slide it in between the radiator and block as there is not enough room to get the fan onto this bracket with the radiator installed. This way the last 2 bolts that secure the fan are the 2 that hold this bracket on.

Have a look at post # 28 on this thread

http://forums.aaca.org/f165/standard-6-exhaust-overheating-holden-body-367800-2.html

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Pete, and you only fill it half way with 30 weight oil. I fill mine at what I think is half way and then turn it so the filler hole is half way from vertical. I can easily catch any overfill in a small catch can. If it leaks with 30 weight oil you can go up in thickness.

Many years ago, when I had just restored my '31-67, a friend with the same model had the fan hub fail and it put the fan through the radiator. While I had no trouble with mine, I took the original hub out and machined a sealed bearing hub (like the one Bob sold). I wasnt going to take a chance. Lots cheaper than a new radiator. (That was 1965).

Pete :

Check back on the forum as I posted a lot about how I rebuilt mine for the 1925-25 and then made a sealed bearing unit for it.post-79073-14314265596_thumb.jpgI also found the Patent information for it.

Nice to see you at Portland! We are still on the road heading home.

Larry