any way of bypassing circuit breaker and resitror on 49 chrysler

gregchrysler

You can disconnect them off the coil and the car will still run. I believe it will shift up but not down, I know it affects the shifting but you can still drive it.

If they are connected properly they will not affect the running of the engine but they must be connected right. The resistor is there to prevent the coil from shorting out, the circuit breaker in case of a short.

You can replace them with a new resistor and new circuit breaker if they are defective, does not have to be the OEM style, any kind will do. Including the kind you buy in local electronics or auto parts stores. I can look up the values if you like.

Since the breaker is doing what it is supposed to, it sounds like you have a short. Not a defective breaker.

You could jump around the breaker and see where the smoke comes from. (don't do this, it was an attempt at humor)

The neg side, is the "ground" which grounds thru the points. When the points are closed, the circuit is complete, the coil is grounded. When the points open, the circuit is broken and the spark fires. I know that sounds backwards but that's the way it works.

I don't know what you mean by power for 2 seconds then no power unless the points are opening (engine turning?).

The resistor is 18 ohms, the breaker is 30 amp.

PS the wiring diagram I referred to is small and blurry but it looks like 18 ohms. Could be 13 or 15 so if you test it, and it is not exactly 18 it is ok. Unless it is completely open or completely shorted it should work.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)