Paul Syrdal Needs Our Prayers Please Read

dship

As a member of the Gopher State Chapter (in addition to being a Minuteman Chapter member), I received this quote from Paul's sister Kris today:

"My brother Paul had a stroke on Wednesday. He is recovering in the hospital and progressing, but obviously prayers are well wishes are appreciated for him and Donna on a speedy and thorough recovery."

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery, Paul...

Guest my3buicks

Thoughts and well wishes from Mars. My Dad had a stroke and it can be a long slow road to recovery for both the patient and recovery. To Paul's family the main thing you can do is keep his spirits upas much as possible.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

My family's thoughts and prayers are with Paul and the whole Syrdal family. Get well soon, Paul! I'll try to visit you in the hospital this weekend. Do hospitals still frown on bringing in 12 packs?

This from Donna this morning.

"Thanks for sending thoughts. We will need them in the coming weeks. Paul is still in ICU. He is able to move everything but he is sleeping all the time and his speech is a bit garbled at times. We are hopeful that he will fully recover. I will tell him you are thinking of him."

So sounds like Paul still needs our thoughts and prayer. If I could just hook a pint of this 150 proof to his IV I am sure he'd be up and about in no time.

Guest Fred_S

Paul is back, alert and awake. Hopefully all will work out OK. We thank everyone for prayers and thoughts. (Paul's dad)

I just came from Mercy Hospital. Paul was awake for about 30 seconds while I was there; long enough to acknowledge my presence. Donna said that he has a couple of awake periods a day, usually 7:00 - 10:00 am, and 2:00 - 4:00 pm. For all of you locals, he is room 351 East.

Donna said that there is no medical reason for Paul to still be in the hospital. He needs to be transferred to a physical therapy facility, but he also has to be awake for longer periods of time, so he may have to go to a nursing home first. There is no paralysis; he can move and talk. There is a vision impairment; he is missing the lower half of his field of vision.

I brought Paul a copy of this thread, so that he and Donna are aware of all of the caring and support which has been expressed.

Thanks for sharing the news of your visit with Paul and Donna and also for sharing this thread with him. Looks like it is going to take some time for things to get back to "normal" but the good part is he has no paralysis and IS STILL WITH US!!!

Thanks again for keeping us posted Jim!!

I just visited with Paul, Donna, Fred, Jan, Chewy, and assorted doctors and nurses. Paul was alert, knew who I was, took a walk with physical therapy, and drank two cups of "bad" hospital coffee (Paul's description). His speech is fine. He has some vision problems, minor memory issues and occasional balance issues. His discharge meeting is at 10:30 am today. Donna is looking at in-patient rehab for a while. I'll try to keep the forum updated as information becomes available. Paul & Donna really appreciate the messages of support on this forum.

Great to see this!!!! What a great showing of Buick brothers and sisters surrounding our good friend to wish him well. Thanks for sharing JD. Rita and I hope you continue to improve and get back home soon Paul.

BTW I had to click on the picture to get it to open all the way.

I spent about two hours with Paul and Donna this morning before continuing on the way home from the Heartland Regional. He isn't his old self but he seems to be doing quite well considering the condition he was in a week ago. He was really pleased to have a bunch of the Buick brethren visit.