55 Brake Release

Paul Falabella

After much searching, I found an acceptable set of knobs for the vent sliders on my '55. (When I got the '55, these were gone.) They have a clever little metal clip that retains the knob on the slider lever. Not sure about looseness, but if the metal clips are in good shape, the knob won't fall completely off. Take a look at the side of the knob down by the slider lever. You will see the end of the metal clip. I don't recall exactly the direction it goes, but press on the metal clip one way, and the knob cleanly releases from the slider lever. I'm not going to recommend filling the knob with JB weld and just sliding it back on, and let the JB weld take up whatever gap has developed over time, because I don't know if you're looking for a fix that would retain the removeableness of the knobs. Maybe get them loose and something in the metal clips will be more obvious.

When you discover the trick to the knob retaining clip - the knob just about falls right off. If you're pulling hard, something's not right.

Paul,

I have used JB Weld to fix that same problem. Put it on the rod lightly, then twist the knob on. Obviously make sure everything is clean first.

Eric is correct about the vent knobs. There is a metal tab that holds them on. I would not use anything on them, since you are much more likely to have to remove the vent mechanism (in the future) than the parking brake.