Oil filters and acid

Rusty_OToole

The discussion of bypass vs full flow filters reminded me of a question I have had in the back of my mind for years.

We all know that motor oil becomes contaminated by acid from the burned fuel, that this acid can damage the engine, but won't build up to a dangerous amount, as long as we change oil frequently.

What I want to know is this. What would happen if you sprinkled a little bicarbonate of soda, or other acid neutralizing substance, into the oil filter? My idea is that the filter would trap the bicarb powder, and neutralize any acid as it passed through the filter.

Any thoughts from chemists or engineers in the crowd?

As I understand it, the acid is from water (condensate from the combustion process). Wouldn't it just be easier and more fun to drive the car long enough to heat the oil enough to vaporize and drive the water out?

FWIW, I've read that bypass filters with depth type media can hold the water out of the oil until everything is hot enough to vaporize the water thus keeping acid formation down too. But lots of the bypass filters (and all full flow filters) are surface media type so whether or not your bypass filter would help reduce acid build up depends.

I have always been curious, bought a 1928 Graham-Paige that had been sitting 40 years. He had parked the car and put in fresh oil (this gentleman was meticulous) he left the crank in the engine and turned it over the first of every month like clockwork. I pulled the pan with the oil in it, there was a layer of stuff on the bottom of the pan under the oil, guessing the acid? water would float, other than that the oil looked new. If there had been condensation there should have been water on top of the oil? Good thing the pan is made of something like 12 gauge steel, lots of pits in the pan but it still no leaks.