When did the oil dipstick become a common thing?

Dosmo

I just watched a video where a 1925 Ford Model T owner shows the procedure for checking and filling the engine oil for the car, along with checking the gasoline level, starting and driving the car, etc.

I'd never really considered that one needed to be under the car to loosen the petcocks for checking the level of engine oil. It must have really sucked to be a gas station attendant before the oil dipstick became commonplace.

Which leads to my question - does anyone know what car had the first oil dipstick and when that was? And, when did Ford engines adopt the oil dipstick?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Guest BillP

My old Farmall's the same way. Rusty, if it comes out the top, you got too much; if it don't come out the bottom, you ain't got enough. At least that's how it was told to me.

What I don't know about Ford cars would fill an encyclopedia but I'd guess that the Model T kept the petcocks to the end but the Model A used a dip stick.

I recall seeing some higher end cars from the '20s that had a float with an indicator poking up out of the crankcase so you could simple glance at it and did not have to actually pull a dipstick out to check the level.

Based on the parts book, it looks like the first Plymouth in 1928 had a dipstick but I am sure there were many other makes and models that had one earlier.

I am guessing the petcocks came from steam engines (called tricocks) not sure if it was because you were supposed to try them or because there were three? Anyway top one full/overfull water, bottom one should have water, you get the idea.

post-67048-143142647429_thumb.jpg

Graham-Paige switched from the float type system to the dip stick in about 1931 depending on engine.

The real laugh is that Ford recommended you keep the oil level half way between the upper and lower taps. How were you supposed to know that?

Two ways, three really.

One is you crawl under the car and open the petcocks to get an idea what the level of the oil is.

Two is you buy a tool like this so you can reach the petcocks without crawling under the car but still on your knees NEARLY standing on your head. 1486611l.jpg

Three is install a site gauge so you can stand on your head to see the oil level.

476429l.jpg

But I love them anyway....... :D