RodneyUK 1956 Buick Special Dynaflow

RodneyUK

Can anyone help. My gear box on my 56 Buick Special seems to have given up. Heard a loud screeching noise and lost all drive about a mile from home. Had it towed back to friends farm where I inspected the linkage, all seemed ok so decided to start engine in neutral, all fine. Drove around field, everything normal, decided to drive home and after one mile, same thing happened again. No 56 parts available in UK but have been advised to use an adapter with GM400 box, as you know this will mean finding a back axle and all that goes with it, Any ideas on the availability and prices of working dyna-flow in the States. I've sourced a 61 dynaflow, can I bolt my bell-housing to this box???

Google "Dynaflow transmission parts". Several companies selling rebuild kits, Fatsco.net, ClassicBuick.com for a start. Other members may have more input. Have to think a rebuild less expensive than a near complete drivetrain change.

Thanks for prompt reply Paul, spoke to Auto Gear Box repair who seem to think 2.2k pounds to rebuild dynaflow. I'll check out kits and other auto shops

Guest 54fins

I have a couple of good 1954 dynaflows that I think would be about the same as a 56

The problem is it's quite a boat anchor, the shipping could be pretty substantial.

They are simple trannies, the repair kit would be fairly light.

as for the 400 tranny, it's major surgery. Complete revamp of the drivetrain.

Re: Dynaflow box - is it possible to use another torque converter on a 56 trans? I have found an auto box repair shop that know dynaflows, been quoted £1500.00 for a rebuild - bands, clutch pack, and seals, extra for other parts. Thank you for your offer of a box, 54 Fins, you're the spirit of Hot Rodding.

Thanks everyone for all your reply's, much appreciated.

Ps. I have a manual and will be starting work on the car this Saturday.

1956 are the first year where the Dynaflow fits all models,Before that there was 2 different model every year.Just searh on dynaflow on this BCA -forum and I`m sure you will find a lot.None of the dynaflow Before or after 1956 are "bolt on".1955 has a different splines,1957 has a different bolt .pattern.

Leif in Sweden.

Also, isn't there a difference in the cooling of the '55 from the '56 version?

I just visited Paul Meyer today (cancer--not good) and he told me he has a spare 1956 Dynaflow available. I can put you in touch with him, if needed.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

that's right. The '56 took the oil up to the radiator to be cooled. rather than bringing the coolant back to the transmission

Thanks for your reply Peter - nothing in UK so far. Sorry to hear about your friend Paul. I'd be most grateful if you could put me in touch with your friend Paul. I have a friend in Marble Falls TX. I also have contact details of someone who ships container loads to UK. So looks like a 56 box or nothing else is going to fit.

Kind regards

Rod

Guest JR9162

A GM SP/TT 400 will not fit to your 1956 322 CID nailhead block. I do not know who makes an adapter to mate them. However, you can obtain adapters to mate the GM Turbo 350, Turbo 400, or the two OD automatics to your engine. You can remove the torque tube driveshaft and differential assembly from your rear axle housing and install the differential from a early 60's Buick there, axle spline counts match - thus converting it to open driveline. Look at Russ Martin's webpage on Centerville Auto Repair for information regarding tranny swaps and his torque tube eleminator kit. http://centervilleautorepair.com/