1923 Model 45 Steering box

Tom Getz

Guest 22Coupe

Tom,

While I don't know how to disassemble the steering gearbox, I assume you checked the steering linkage and eliminated that as a cause for the hard steering? Next I would disconnect the gearbox from the linkage and try turning the steering wheel and see if that is still hard to turn if you haven't already. I have a Model 36 and there is a alemite grease fitting on the gearbox. You can take that fitting off and put a zerk fitting on and then fill it with some fresh grease and see if that helps.

Gary

22Coupe is correct that you should try turning the gear while disconnected from the linkage first to make sure your problem is there. If it is the gear it will be hard to turn hooked up or not. You also want to check for bearing / bushing failure. We can rebuild your gear if needed. If your interested you can either call the number below or PM me.

If your gear turns easy while disconnected I would start looking at king pins, ect...

Tom,

As the half nuts wear, it gets harder to turn. The shop manual has the procedure to dissemble and repair the steering

box. You can find reprinds of the shop manual on ebay or Buick Heritage Alliance.

JB

22-6-55 Sport touring