Removing rear bumperon a 65..

Guest Im4darush

Guest Im4darush

Whats the easiest way to remove the rear bumper so that there are no alignment issues upon putting it back? Not sure there is a way, but if there was you guys would know it :)

Im replacing the tail light bezels and assume the bumper needs to come down for this.

Guest clamshells

My #1 concern removing the front or rear bumper is the paint. I'll be replacing all 7 bumper pieces soon. My plan for removing the bumpers: stuff good clean rags (anything that could possibly scratch the paint should they slip) and have another pair of trusted hands on the bumper(s) as the bolts come out.They are not hard to realign.

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)

Get a roll of plastic tubing at your local hardware store. Cut it into lengths the same as the height as the bumper where it may contact the body. Slit the tubing and fit it over the bumper ends. Put masking tape on the body where you think they might rub. The tubing and masking tape should be adequate to prevent you from scraping the paint. The more hand the better. Or do as I've done in the past; use a floor jack to support the bumper while you and a helper watch each end of the bumper as you slide it off. If you can eliminate dealing with the weight of the bumper, the process is much easier.

Ed

The easiest way is the 4 bolts that hold the bumper to the bracket, but be careful those bolts are in slots in the bumper and the bumper will slide down once they get loose enough. But doing it this way ensures the bumper front/rear spacing is correct, you will still need to do Up/down and left/right but as its been mentioned, marked the area where the bolts are and the bracket meets the bumper and mark them and just line those back up as you assemble it. Another person works but its better to have two people hold the bumper and one do the hardware

OK In a Hurry: I have done this job several times. I agree with Chris that two + people is by far the safest way to go. The back bolts on the 65 Riv are carriage type and will somehow start to spin when loosened. Be prepared to use a cutoff wheel. Occasionally I've found that dousing them with WD-40 before helps but they always seem to get away from me.

In replacing the bumper I would use masking or some kind of tape and some kind of cloth that will prevent the bumper from scratching the paint. Make sure that when you remove the masking or what ever tape you're using there won't be anything caught in an area hidden from your fingers to remove it once it's re-installed.

The nuts really need to be smooth going on the bolts so you can maneuver the brackets and tighten/loosen them as needed. Also, make sure the bulbs are good and hit all that with the WD because it will make fastening that much easier. Mitch