1956 MSD?

Guest NikeAjax

Guest NikeAjax

Hey gang, has anyone tried/used this?

http://www.streetsideauto.com/c/ignition-electrical/distributors/v/1956-buick-century-53l-322-cid/

Can I really just drop the danged thing in? The bushings are shot on my stock distributor, and was lookin' 'round an' saw that thing. The shaft slops around so much that it's been cutting into the cap terminals; makes the car not want to run, ya know?

Jaybird

Guest NikeAjax

Okay, here's the conversation I had:

[TABLE=width: 100%]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2][TABLE=width: 100%]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=width: 100%][/TD]

[TD=class: print_email_cell] [TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: print_cell]print.png[/TD]

[TD=class: email_cell]email.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2] History:[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2] [TABLE=width: 100%]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD] [Robbie] Hello, I'm with the StreetSideAuto.com sales and technical assistance department, can I answer any questions about the product you're looking at?

[Visitor] So, this will drop right in to my 322?

[Robbie] 8524 msd right?

[Visitor] Um, I think so?

[Robbie] ok let me check the application on that product for you

[Robbie] this distributor fits the 1953-1956 buick 5.3 or 322 engine

[Visitor] Excellent! What does the dist cap look like, I really HATE the one in the image...

[Robbie] 8524.jpg

[Visitor] Does it come in black at least?

[Robbie] it will come with the red cap

[Visitor] Oh, and where can I get replacement caps, like for when that one wears out?

[Robbie] however if you would like to change to the black cap you could also order part number 84333

[Robbie] http://www.streetsideauto.com/search.asp?keywords=84333 here is the black cap for that distributor

[Visitor] Hmmm, that link didn't show an image, but does it look like the red one only black then?

[Robbie] 84333_full.jpg

[Robbie] here is the image from MSD

[Visitor] Roger that, thanks buddy!

[Robbie] not a problem

[Robbie] Is there anything else I can help you with today?

[Visitor] yeah, do I HAVE to use that funny cap that says MSD?

[Robbie] all of the ones from MSD are going to have their logo on it if you wanted to switch it out for one from a parts store that was just black you could do that as long as it was the same style

[Visitor] Oh, and where does that pig-tail go?

[Visitor] Also, ballasted, or unballasted coil?

[Robbie] checking now

[Robbie] the pig tail is used to connect to the coil, your ground, and the ignition switch

[Robbie] and if you are running an MSD box it can be included as well

[Robbie] file:///C:/Users/rguier/Downloads/8524.pdf here is the pdf for installation

[Visitor] Can you clarify "MSD box"? Sorry, I don't understand?

[Robbie] the msd box is the ignition control box for racing appliactions if this is a factory style ignition then you will not need the box

[Robbie] on the coil they show the 8202 http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/msd-coil-blaster-2-8202/ it does not need a ballast unless you are running points ignition which this distributor does not have so you will not need a ballast

[Visitor] OK, thank you for your help: I'm sure other Buick people will getting in touch with you: have a good day and uneventful-day... take it easy!

[Robbie] you are welcome and thank you you as well[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Hi just stopping by to let you know I run this distributor in my 56 with a 322...some key points...56 was a change over year for the camshaft...early ones are steel vs iron...if your engine was rebuilt and the cam replaced it will be an iron one...however if your's is still orginal and an early one it could be a steel cam...won't work with this distributor...you might be able to change the gear to get it to work I'm not sure...most likely yours is iron and everything will work just fine. That being said yes you want to bypass the ballast resistor...if you do go this route let me know and I'll tell you how I have my advance curve set up in mine.

Guest NikeAjax

Now I'm confused as I can't remember if I changed out the cam when I rebuilt my motor... Can I just swap the gears at the end of the shafts if the new one doesn't work: is there a way to ID the gear to tell what is what?

Thanks for the heads up,

Jaybird

chances are it's a cast iron cam...but if it's not I'm not 100 percent postive if MSd offers a steel gear, you'd have to ask them....the only way to know what you have is to pull out your current distributor and see if its shiny steel or dull cast iron..you'll know when you see it. One other thing I forgot to address, your question about needing to use a cap that says MSD on it...just to be clear the cap itself is plain it's the wire hold down part that says MSD on it...and no you don't have to use it.

• 1 month later...
Guest tommyduncan

Are the 55-56 dist gears dimensionally the same? If so what is the MSD gear made out of? Will it wear out the steel gear on the 55?

I seem to pick all the vehicles with dist gear issues... 401 AMC, odd fire Buick V6, 05 4.0 Jeep, and now a 55' 322.

Hopefully not too off topic but is there an HEI swap for these?

Lol sounds like you pick the odd ones...that's ok I've never owned..and only barley have I worked on a sbc...anyhow the MSD gear is a cast iron gear...I'm pretty sure they offer a steel one IF you need it...yes the gears are the same size..you can install it and it'll run but it will eat up each other up in no time. I think the steel cam gear will wear the dist cast iron gear and not the other way around but in any case it wont make for a good day.