Installing a '52 320 Motor into a '36 40 Series … ?

Roadmaster75

Has anyone done a similar swap? A friend wanted me to check in

and see if it's been done much. After 42 years in the BCA, I used to know this stuff, but getting

to old to recall this level of detail…!

Looking to identify the major issues in transplanting a '52 320 into

a '36 40 Series?

Prepping the crank for a manual trans can be handled, but what about

mounts and mounting locations….? And, will the 40 series drive train mate up or will

we need to source a more compatible Buick set up? He wants to update it, but keep it

all Buick (if possible).

Thanks!

Mike

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/dcd0bf4c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

The 320 ci is longer than the 248 ci 248 vs 320

Unsure about the length of a 1936 series 40.

And then there is the engine mounts - bell housing - transmission.

Another thread Is there a difference between 1936 and 1938 Special engines?

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

I also am no expert but I feel that the extra length of the 320 will be much more of a problem than just finding a good servicable 248. Another thing is that to the best of my knowledge the only thing more modern about the 52 320 is insert rod bearings vs poured babbet, obviously more displacement AND higher compression and simply a newer casting. I just had the 37 320 rebuilt and there was no problem with parts or machine work (ground the crank, cam and had the rods machined for insert bearings) and the engine will be as good as it was new in 1937.

Guest JR9162

Your best bet is find a 50-53 Buick 263 out of a Special or Super and mount it in the 36. If your 36 is a 248, the motor mount assemblies are adaptable to the later 248s and 263s.

A 1936 Series 40 runs a 233 cubic inch motor.

With modification I can see a later model 248 or 263 possibly being shoehorned in.

I can't see a 320 being fitted. In addition to the overall size difference you will also have to consider the weight difference and have to beef up suspension, steering and even the chassis.

Guest BigDogDaddy

As far as the engine fitting in the car...isn't that what a Century is ? The first Century was created in 1936 by putting the larger Roadmaster engine into the smaller Special body. The rest I don't know about. But I would think that it could be done.

Phil

Phil:

The body is from the cowl back, so that part is the same, yes. But the frame is longer, wheelbase is longer, and suspension components are beefier. Not to mention the sheetmetal from the cowl forward - it's a few inches longer than the Special. On my '40, there just isn't the 4" of space needed - the engine is hard up against the firewall in the rear and there is maybe an inch of clearance between the fan and the radiator in the front. And moving the radiator forward just isn't possible given how it's mounted, so the only space for a longer engine would be cutting out the firewall in the back and extending the engine/bellhousing into the passenger compartment by a few inches.

Cheers, Dave

What needs to be done, is to have someone make the swap that DOESN'T know it can't be done.

I bet I and many others could do it, PERIOD. Sure it would require thought, and many mods, but I'm sure it can be done.

I and MANY others on this site have done things that others said COULDN'T be done.

It boils down to how much time you want to put into the task.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

May be 'bout as easy to transplant a 322 Nailhead :)

This would be a much easier fit than the 320 Straight 8.

As for Century V's Special, well the suggestion that it's the big motor in a Special is not even close. Especially with the 1936 Century it could best be described as a short wheelbase Roadmaster utilising a Special body from the cowl back. There are NO common mechanical parts between the 1936 Special and Century, motor, gearbox, frame, rear end, brakes, steering, suspension, even wheels are different.