Distinctive Industries seat covers....Not PUI

Guest Im4darush

Guest Im4darush

Anyone seen these? I know Clark's is the best. Have read all the comments on PUI but not about distictive. On sale at OPG for $272 (front buckets).

The are NOT worth buying. They didn't match my saddle interior. Made with very thin vinyl. Black might be a different story. But they will charge you a re-stocking fee when you aren't happy with the product. I spent over $50 (if memory serves me correctly) to send back a worthless pair of OPGI seat covers. Good Luck if you go that route. Bill

Guest Im4darush

Thanks Bill! Did you send them back mainly due to color? Being that I need black, Im not very worried about that. Now the overall poor quality is a different story. My 65 is not a concourse queen so $450 for the fronts from clark's + shipping is not a small number compared to $272 shipped. Just doing my homework and trying to figure out how bad these really are taking into account that a color match is not important for me.

Guest Im4darush

Correction....just called Clark's...$605 for two front buckets(with buttons) plus $30 shipping. Ouch!!

Guest Kaber

I got a set Distinctive Industries covers from OPGI. No complaints about quality. Mine were blue and I installed them myself. The Drivers seat probably could have used new foam and looks a little baggy to me but I don't think it was because of the cover quality. I got the front and back kit from OPGI for $512 before Christmas. Here is what they look like:

2014-03-23153037_zpsf01d908e.jpg

2014-03-31122301_zps4f55b625.jpg

2014-03-31122313_zpsa6d96e60.jpg

2014-02-10160321_zpsebe1d357.jpg

2014-03-31122607_zps49c062b3.jpg

2014-02-09152222_zps8eb0264f.jpg

2014-02-09152138_zpsba55de8a.jpg

2014-02-10160332_zpsafbe8202.jpg

2014-03-31122417_zps0d001b61.jpg

Edited by Kaber (see edit history)

Guest Kaber
Excellent, thank you VERY much for posting this.

No Problem, I forgot to mention that the buttons were included.

Kaber

I did send the set I bought back due to color. I too didn't want to go to the added expense of the Clark's set. I even went to the local automotive paint store and bought dye to make the OPGI set match. The plan was to install the covers and dye them with the stock rear seat so everything matched. Then when I was installing the first cover a seam tore through the thin vinyl that was used. That was it. I sent them back. The re-stocking fee added to the bad experience. Kaber's interior looks great. Maybe my experience was a fluke. He has a good point about the buttons also. I didn't like how the buttons are an added expense with the Clark's product. Bill

The Drivers seat probably could have used new foam and looks a little baggy…

Kaber, did u use new foam on everything other than the driver seat? Or is the driver seat the only one that the foam was bad enough to make the seat look 'baggy'

Bill, did u use new foam on your seat before u tried pulling the thinner vinyl cover over the seat?

50 years of heat/cold exposure would get me wondering if the foam ends up shrinking. I'm guessing but maybe, just maybe, the thinner vinyl covers might work fine over the old foam since it has dried out & lost some of its mass. Even the pros need to trim new foam to get it to fit right so that it doesn't over-stress the seams.

My foam is hard & crumbling out from under the seat. I don't think it's a good idea for me to keep the old foam. So I may have to go ALL new foam & use Clark's thicker vinyl covers

:(

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

Guest Kaber
Kaber, did u use new foam on everything other than the driver seat? Or is the driver seat the only one that the foam was bad enough to make the seat look 'baggy'

Bill, did u use new foam on your seat before u tried pulling the thinner vinyl cover over the seat?

50 years of heat/cold exposure would get me wondering if the foam ends up shrinking. I'm guessing but maybe, just maybe, the thinner vinyl covers might work fine over the old foam since it has dried out & lost some of its mass. Even the pros need to trim new foam to get it to fit right so that it doesn't over-stress the seams.

My foam is hard & crumbling out from under the seat. I don't think it's a good idea for me to keep the old foam. So I may have to go ALL new foam & use Clark's thicker vinyl covers

:(

That's a good point! I reused all the old foam. I did use a 1/2" synthetic batting between the covers and the cushions in the back. I used 1" thick batting in the front. I think I could have went thicker on the Driver's seat. One good thing about reusing the cushions is that the holes for the buttons are there and its easy to center the covers on the seats. This was my first attempt at upholstery, I used 250 hog-rings. I had to undo some hog-rings a couple of times but it really wasn't that bad! I tugged on those covers pretty hard a couple of times getting them on and they took it pretty well.

Kaber

Guest REX STALLION

Well, you can`t argue with the way those turned out. They look great !. That being said, I still have a rear package tray from Opig that was a poor excuse for the original. I still keep it around in the box to remind me. Hmm decisions decisions...

Guest Im4darush

Tip I learned back in the day after struggling with countless GTO seat cover projects.....#1 is lay them out in the sun for an hour. They will be easier to stretch. #2 and most important is to put a thin garbage bag over the seat before attempting to slide the cover on. Amazing what a difference this makes when it comes time to pull, turn and align the cover on the seat back. They will slide easy and align with little pain. This is not so much an issue on the seat bottom but will also help with final adjustments.

One other thing I learned when you are not replacing foam. Go to your local craft store and pick up some foam sheets. Cut them to match the seat and lay them on top. They are sold in many sizes. I mostly use the 1/2" thick sheets. You can go thicker but it will be tougher to pull the cover and also a bit harder to blend the foam in to the seat cover lines. 1/2" is thin enough that you will never see it. It will however fill in some voids and make the seats look better. They will also feel better when sitting on them. If your factory foam is crumbling to pieces, this wont really help you, but if it is just a bit flat, this can make the difference between having wrinkles in the cover or being smooth.

I learned a trick from an upholsterer some time ago about rebuilding foam. He was recovering a bunch of bar stools and the foam on them had been compressed to the point where there was nothing there. He used live steam on the foam and the foam perked right up. Borrow you wife's steam iron and hit the foam for as long as it takes for the foam to regain its shape. Make sure that you can somehow force the steam deep into the foam.

Ed

PS - the same technique works for removing dents in your carpets where the feet from your chairs, couches, and tables sit.

OK Kaber: In all respect, I didn't think they looked that great. There is something missing and I don't know if it was the install with improper cushioning or the covers or both. I'm not a trimmer in the least. I have several sets of Clarks covers and they were professionally installed by a darn good trimmer. They look a lot better.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade...it's just how they appear to me from the pictures. Honest, Mitch.

Guest Kaber
OK Kaber: In all respect, I didn't think they looked that great. There is something missing and I don't know if it was the install with improper cushioning or the covers or both. I'm not a trimmer in the least. I have several sets of Clarks covers and they were professionally installed by a darn good trimmer. They look a lot better.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade...it's just how they appear to me from the pictures. Honest, Mitch.

OK Mitch: I wasn't having a parade, Im4darush had asked if anyone here had seen the Distinctive seat covers. I posted pictures so he could see them installed and make his own decision. I did not disparage Clark's or their covers, I simply showed pictures of the Distinctive covers that my son and I installed on his car. I am glad your "darn good trimmer" got your Clark's covers to "look a lot better". Congratulations!

It's always the picky dick that pays to have his car done that is most critical. I too installed my own seat covers. Not as easy as I thought it would be. Maybe Mitch should give it a try before he pisses on another mans work!

Guest Im4darush

And may I add.....the pics were a huge help and were exactly what I was looking for. Which is the entire idea behind the forum.

I compliment you and your son for taking on the job. The results, though not perfect are much better than many others out there. If you want a concourse car, than spending money and hiring out all the work to be done is one way. I done a 1946 Ford Cpe, a 1954 Buick Skylark with my son. He is now 52 years old and some of the best memories are when we worked on the various components of the cars, the Ford Flat head V/8 was always overheating, the light fuses would go out but we got it done, No replacement interior was produced back then for the 1954 Skylark a local interior shop worked magic, the car was painted in a one-car garage and the alley by a guy we called "Bondo Bob" ........ the paint took a first place at the LA National Show and the paint was mentioned as one of the best in the LA Times (this was Bondo Bobs, first paint job with a paint gun) and again, my son and I rubbed and rubbed and rubbed that paint to a beautiful finish ............ not everyone is trying to have the best of show, we just want to enjoy our car and most of all our family. The way that we are headed, we are pricing the restorations out of the budget of many car enthusiasts. I for one like your interior, just the way it is. With negative comments, we are also keeping new people from buying and restoring an automobile. Good luck Paul

Guest Im4darush
OK Riviera People: Go bash me. That's how I saw it. Mitch

Not bashing. Just the simple truth. For some (myself included) spending $650 on a top notch interior just does not make economic sense. Everything has a place in this world, and I think it is wonderful that we can chose to spend the $650 if that is what we are looking for, or less than half of that and still enjoy the hobby.

OK Riviera People: Go bash me. That's how I saw it. Mitch

Mitch,

I think you saw the wrong picture. From what I can tell, most of us saw a picture of a father and son working together - period. I know that my dad helped me with a lot of projects and aesthetically they might not have be of concourse quality. BUT, I learned something and I got to spend some time with my dad. He died when I was 33, that was 34 years ago. I still miss doing things with him.

Please, show us some pictures of projects that you did with your son and some pictures of quality time you spent together.

Ed

Guest dwhiteside64

Guys come on Mitch has a right to his opinion. The thread started out about how the Clark product compares to the one offered by OPGI and he just gave his two cents worth by looking at the pics. He used what Clark offers and believes he had better results than Kaber. Different people have different expectations and opinions. I think we all have things about our cars we believe need improvement, but those items don't detract from the overall beauty of these old cars. Budgets, time constraints, and skill level all determine how we approach a particular restoration and what will be the outcome. In the end we just need to ask ourselves one thing - did we have fun doing it? That's all that really matters anyway right? I know I'm not alone when I say Kaber has a pretty sweet ride - with or without the seats! :D

Guys come on Mitch has a right to his opinion. The thread started out about how the Clark product compares to the one offered by OPGI and he just gave his two cents worth by looking at the pics. He used what Clark offers and believes he had better results than Kaber. Different people have different expectations and opinions. I think we all have things about our cars we believe need improvement, but those items don't detract from the overall beauty of these old cars. Budgets, time constraints, and skill level all determine how we approach a particular restoration and what will be the outcome. In the end we just need to ask ourselves one thing - did we have fun doing it? That's all that really matters anyway right? I know I'm not alone when I say Kaber has a pretty sweet ride - with or without the seats! :D

Did Mitch consider this before posting his opinion?

Guest Kaber

One thing that I have noticed is that when your driving and riding in these cars, you can't see the seat covers anyway! That's what this is all about!!! Get out and drive!

image_zps7dd3187c.jpg

Thanks Guys!!

Kaber

Guest dwhiteside64
One thing that I have noticed is that when your driving and riding in these cars, you can't see the seat covers anyway! That's what this is all about!!! Get out and drive!

image_zps7dd3187c.jpg

Thanks Guys!!

Kaber

Hey I whole heartedly agree! Ride on!:cool:

I drove my '63 for 20 years as a daily driver. Sat on the cracked and peeling leather everyday and thought of it as nicely aged. No one ever commented on it not being perfect. I finally had them recovered professionally and the cheap leather that was used is now in worse condition than the original was. The important thing, as Kaber says, is to "get out and drive." If it's with your son, so much the better. Right now one of the trendy things is rat rods. Throw a blanket over the seat and you're cool.

As a retired teacher I can say that I'm betting there are a bunch of parents out there who would give anything to be able to spend that kind of quality time with their kids. There are also a bunch of kids who don't even have a parent at home with whom to share anything. Single parents are working two jobs just to make ends meet. I saw it every day; my wife see it more today than I did five years ago.

Ed

Guest Kaber
I drove my '63 for 20 years as a daily driver. Sat on the cracked and peeling leather everyday and thought of it as nicely aged. No one ever commented on it not being perfect. I finally had them recovered professionally and the cheap leather that was used is now in worse condition than the original was. The important thing, as Kaber says, is to "get out and drive." If it's with your son, so much the better. Right now one of the trendy things is rat rods. Throw a blanket over the seat and you're cool.

As a retired teacher I can say that I'm betting there are a bunch of parents out there who would give anything to be able to spend that kind of quality time with their kids. There are also a bunch of kids who don't even have a parent at home with whom to share anything. Single parents are working two jobs just to make ends meet. I saw it every day; my wife see it more today than I did five years ago.

Ed

Ed, Its funny you mention the blankets. This car had western blankets in all 4 seats when we picked it up. The morning we got it it was pouring rain, Defog not working I was rummaging around in the back seat for something to wipe the window with, my son was driving. I grabbed a skankey women's halter top I found on the back floor and smeared off the window. Upon arriving home my son tore out the blankets and had them in the trashcan before he even thru away the skankey halter top! He really hated them. I patched up the seats with duct tape, he hated that even more! He was so happy when finally got the recovered seats back in he said "WooHoo no more Duct Tape!!!" It was awesome!

Tim

OK Darren: Thanks for the support. If my project turned out mediocre I for one would be interested in hearing about from others. I gave my honest opinion. I stand by my opinion. If someone came up to me and humbly said they didn't think my project looked that great , as long as they said it humbly, I'd take that as constructive criticism. Also, if anyone has read my posts they'd know what I mean because I'm no cherry nor claim to be.

Actually, Kaber's car actually looks better than the lion's share of mine. I posted because I had a bad experience with a trimmer and found a good one who straightened it out The difference is similar to how the blue car pictured looked. It was a reminder of my "before". My after is much much better and perhaps Kaber can improve on his too. Mitch

Edited by lrlforfun (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Im4darush

My distinctive covers were delivered a week ago. They came with buttons and look pretty nice. Once installed I will post some pics. For the price, not bad at all.

• 7 months later...
Guest Bill pol

I am covering 63 riv now, how hard is it to put the buttons on? How did you install them? I'm scared to make a hole in the seat and how hard to install through the foam. All details would ease my fear!.

Guest Kaber
I am covering 63 riv now, how hard is it to put the buttons on? How did you install them? I'm scared to make a hole in the seat and how hard to install through the foam. All details would ease my fear!.

Are you replacing the foam also? I did not replace the foam so the holes were already in the foam. It is nice as this helps center the covers. I just pushed the buttons thru the covers where the pattern crossed and then pushed it thru the holes in the foam. After you do the first one its easy! If you are using new foam I'm not sure, you would have to layout where the buttons go thru on the new foam using the old foam as a guide and then just push everything thru. It is really pretty easy, its the first poke that's hard! LOL!

2014-02-09152138_zpsba55de8a.jpg

This is where the come thru the foam and burlap.

2014-02-09153647_zpsf8200e22.jpg