22nd series 1948 Dash Question

Oldtimelampshop

Hi. Just got a 48 super Conv. And while studying online pictures of others, I noticed that Packard used two different Dash designs? Some have stainless trim in center and a painted glovebox door on pass side, and others have all stainless trim over dash on both sides of radio covering dash face.

Is there an option, or name, or particular thing associated with one or the other? Any relation to month built like early or late car?

im curious. Thanks

It's a model difference. The dash with the chrome grill on the glovebox door is a Custom. Only the 22nd Series Customs had this extended chrome. While we're on the subject... the closed cars had a woodgrained dash while the convertible dash was painted.

Edited by JD in KC
Additional info (see edit history)

What is the vehicle number on your data plate? Some photos of your car would be very helpful. The Super Eight Victoria Convertible should have a plain glovebox without the additional chrome. The Custom glovebox door has a significantly different latching mechanism with the key located to the right of the glove box as opposed to a simple latch/key lever located centrally on the glovebox door for non-Customs.

post-54089-143142643651_thumb.jpg

Photo Credit: PackardInfo.com

post-54089-14314264365_thumb.jpg

Edited by JD in KC
adding photos from 1948 Data Book (see edit history)

I second HH56's recommendation on the book by Robert Neal, it's excellent. In the meantime, you can go to PackardInfo.com and download the Salesman's Factbook, Owners manual, and Parts manual for the car from the 'Packard Literature and Manuals' section. There is a wealth of information there. You can send me an e-mail or PM just by clicking on my name 'JD in KC' over on the left above my avatar. Your 2279 is intriguing. I don't think the Custom style dash was an option that could be ordered.

Really interesting! You have a very early model. The instrument buttons with the engraved function identifier were dropped fairly early on. It was discovered that at night the driver had no idea what the different buttons controlled since the engraved identifier wasn't visible in the dark. Packard first came out with a light bar accessory that illuminated the buttons and then followed that up with a panel of rear illuminated labels above the buttons that was used through the 23rd series. The ventilator knobs that function sideways are another indicator of an early model. It seems highly unlikely that in 1948 Packard would produce a car with a glovebox that can't be locked so... I think somebody added the chrome.

The non-Custom glovebox door has a lever style handle with an integral locking system (keyhole in the handle). The Custom glove box door is as you describe but with a locking mechanism located on the right-hand side of the glove box. It appears you have a Custom glove box door in a Super eight dash. I got your PM and will respond as soon as I look up some information.

I am curious about the engraved identifier. My 1948 Deluxe Eight has quite a few factory options. One is a left mounted spotlight with an attached rear view mirror. I expected to find a thumb switch on the handle of the light. There isn't one. I do have an engraved switch label Foglight, however there are no bumper mounted foglights. Would that dash switch be the factory switch for the spotlight? The dash switch did not have the same action as the other dash switches. It feels like a blank.

Bernie

I figured that was the case with the fog light switch, especially since mine shows no evidence of the lights. I'm just being lazy and trying to discover what turns on the spotlight without sticking my head under the dash. I got busy with work and only opened the door on my garage twice this week.

Bernie