Concerning Torque steer

Guest PontiacDude210

Guest PontiacDude210

Just noticing today my 1990 coupe has some disconcerting aspects to the handling. The main ones being a low howl in the rear end, a strange tendency to jerk the wheel a little on hard shifts, and a skittery feeling over hard bumps. The rear wheels don't feel like the bearings are loose. When my Jeep behaved like that, I replaced my track bar and steering shock. Ran a search, no result that made sense.

The ill handling could be the front end is out of alignment. Torque steer is worse if you are running wheels with less offset that the stock wheels. I experienced that when I was running 16" Mustang wheels. Bump steer was worse with them as well.

The rear suspension of the Reatta is so simple there just isn't much back there that can howl other than the wheel bearings. Possibly a bad muffler?

Guest PontiacDude210

Still sitting on stock wheels, unfortunately. Had some financial setbacks so I haven't got my new wheels yet. Could absolutely junk old tires be why I'm getting the funky pulling under acceleration and when I hit bumps? Is the steering pull when I hit a hard bump what you call bump steer? Logically the rear howl could be junky tires too, so I'm holding off on wheel bearings. Thanks for the help :)

Guest PontiacDude210

I got into it up to my elbows after work today, and sure enough, the rear driver side wheel bearing is shot. It goes clunk when I pull the tire back and forth with force. looking closer, the tire wear on that wheel is uneven with the inside heavier worn. That's gotta be part of the problem. I have a new bearing on order from the local auto parts store.

This has only happened once on the GS. Haven't had this occur on a FWD car I've owned but I'm sure there are plenty of bad hubs on the road. Like bad CV joints, I'd hear a clunking noise when I went through a hard corner. Didn't need to be going very fast, I could go real slow and have the same noise. Good thing you caught that before it broke the race and tore up your back axle. Fortunately I did too.

FYI: if your lug nuts aren't tight and you're about to break the studs it sounds similar. If you break the studs, the clunking gets a lot louder.

Edited by jbeary (see edit history)