metropolitan nash taxicab

David38

Dave,

That's certainly a cool car with a cool paint scheme, but is there any evidence that a Metropolitan Taxi ever entered revenue service somewhere? The taxi meter alone would take up the passenger seat area!

Cheers,

Grog

Dave Mellor NJ,

Great photo of the Metropolitan! Though the faux taxi is cute, I always thought the ultimate Metro would be a cop car. They actually made them back in the old days when new, sort of. Apparently, some meter maids were issued two-tone black and white cars with a little gumball machine cop light on top. I don't think anybody would "buy" the idea of a black & white Highway Patrol Metro, but it might be humorous.

cahartley,

When I was in college at KSU(Manhattan, KS), I had a Metro my last year, 76-77. I think a bunch of coeds were visiting our unofficial fraternity, the Signa Phi Iotas(4 of us rented a house). 4 of the young ladies needed a ride back to the dorms, I think, and somebody wondered how many the car would hold. I think housemate Tim got in the passenger seat, 2 girls got into what is euphemistically called a back seat, and one rode on Tim's lap. Some of the people in the back were spilling into the front compartment and 1 did something contortional to occupy what might be described as the middle of the ceiling.

If someone out there has a Metropolitan and some volunteers they could try to reenact the event. A photo would be great. I only drove a mile or so like this, at night, but we definitely had 6 aboard. In case you were thinking we had a convertible with the top down, it was a coupe.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

My dad was stationed at Pease AFB, NH from 1958-1961. He had a Nash Metropolitan at that time, until around 1960. I was born in '54, and remember riding in the "back seat" of it. I remember Dad got rid of it due to some mechanical problem and got a '56 Ford Custom as a replacement. I can still remember at being amazed at how much bigger the back seat was in the Ford.

cahartley,

When I was in college at KSU(Manhattan, KS), I had a Metro my last year, 76-77. I think a bunch of coeds were visiting our unofficial fraternity, the Signa Phi Iotas(4 of us rented a house). 4 of the young ladies needed a ride back to the dorms, I think, and somebody wondered how many the car would hold. I think housemate Tim got in the passenger seat, 2 girls got into what is euphemistically called a back seat, and one rode on Tim's lap. Some of the people in the back were spilling into the front compartment and 1 did something contortional to occupy what might be described as the middle of the ceiling.

Ha ha....... :o .......I had a hunch women were involved....... :P

I think the Metros were equally effective as birth control devices....... :cool: ........LOL

Guest Skyking
Ha ha....... :o .......I had a hunch women were involved....... :P

I think the Metros were equally effective as birth control devices....... :cool: ........LOL

No problem, as long as both doors were open.....:rolleyes: