Removing speedometer from 37 Roadmaster

trp3141592

Hi,

I am planning to remove the speedometer from the 37 RM for rebuilding/repair, probably in late autumn. I am asking for the voices of experience here: how best to proceed? One theory is to try to remove all of the instruments and instrument panel in one assembly, tilt it outward, then un-attach the speedometer from the panel. The other theory is to have the much more athletic grandson try to detach the speedometer from the instrument panel from behind while the panel is still installed to the dash.

Since I don't fit well under a dashboard any more, I lean toward the first theory, but I am concerned about the temperature gauge tubing and how to deal with it while tipping the panel downward and outward.

Any veterans of this procedure have some advice for me?

--Tom

Well, I can speak from great experience on my 40-56S. Door number 1, take the whole panel out first. In my case there was plenty of slack on the temp gauge tubing. Just check underneath the dash before you start to see how much slack you have. I also pulled my steering wheel for more convenience but you may not need to.

Cheers, Dave

Pulling the entire instrument cluster is no fun job. Plus there is the chance of damaging wiring if it is old.

Getting just the speedometer head out, in my opinion, a lot easier than pulling everything out. There is just the cable, a bulb and the 4 small screws holding the speedo head.

I have to admit, getting those little screws back in is a challenge - but you'll be facing that issue no matter how you go about it.

I have had the speedo head out on my '38 Roadmaster a couple of times in the last near 30 years - and Im no young guy. Having someone more lithe to do it makes it even easier!

I believe the '38 is just like the '37