Opening at bottom of clutch, 1931 Lincoln

WHSEWARD

I have had this car for over a year but have not driven it long distances. My ability to get under the car is limited by age and space, so I only recently discovered that there is a 2 or 2-1/2 inch (approximate) threaded opening on the bottom of my clutch assembly, for which it appears that there was a threaded plug that screwed into it but it is gone, I do not know for how long. The Owners' Manual says it is a dry plate clutch and it looks like the only thing that needs lubrication is the clutch "release" (throwout?) bearing for which there is a grease cup at the top of the clutch assembly. The Manual also refers to an "inspection opening" through which the Center Driving Plate adjustment screws can be adjusted. Unfortunately there is no diagram showing the location of this inspection opening. The car shifts well for its age and the clutch does not bind.

Is the inspection opening the threaded opening at the bottom of the clutch assembly? Is the threaded plug required? Is there any problem leaving the opening "open" other than dust and dirt? I'd appreciate input from folks who have similar vintage cars.

Hi Bill, the Inspection cover is on top of the clutch housing, you will need to remove the front seat cushion, floor board and at least the first toe board, It's easier than it sounds. I'm not sure what the bottom plug is for...sorry, I'm not near my car right now to check.