NE EMPIRE EXPRESS RETURNS 2014

JohnD1956

I too agree with John...you should document your trip. I, for one, totally enjoyed your thread. As I mentioned previously, it brings back fond memories from the early/mid fifties when my family would travel across by automobile. THANKS

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Ed got home at 2:05 PM. He advised the entire trip for the 67 was 8,136 miles, not counting the 248 miles it was flatbedded. The return trip was just under 5K. What we never mentioned was the fact that Ed and his wife were on vacation in Portland Maine just the week before this trip. He was only home one day between Main and leaving for Oregon so, in effect, he traveled coast to coast this summer.

We had a great dinner with our son Justin, his Girfriend Stephanie, and Stephanie's dad, Tim who we met for the first time and just celebrated a Birthday. Wonderful people! We leave for home today. It will be nice to get there and unpack the Electra's trunk. Better still, as John suggested, to sleep in my own bed.

And better than that to get the 56 out for a ride.

Still plenty of summer in these parts and I need to scope out some new locations for the Autumn Buicks pictures soon.

After 27 days on the road we arrived in our home town around 5 PM today. According to our records we drove the Electra 4600 trouble free miles home from Portland. It was a pleasure to drive.

Along the way today I was thinking that some folks reading this may never get a chance to see what upstate NY has to offer. So many people think NY is just New York City. So I shot a few photos to complete this trip.

post-31834-143142676824_thumb.jpg

post-31834-143142676521_thumb.jpg

post-31834-143142676526_thumb.jpg

post-31834-143142676531_thumb.jpg

post-31834-143142676535_thumb.jpg

post-31834-143142676539_thumb.jpg

post-31834-143142676543_thumb.jpg

post-31834-143142676547_thumb.jpg

post-31834-143142676551_thumb.jpg

post-31834-143142676555_thumb.jpg

post-31834-143142676559_thumb.jpg

post-31834-143142676819_thumb.jpg

And after 27 days on the road I will admit I was very happy to see this sign:

post-31834-143142676904_thumb.jpg

And Linda and I unwound while enjoying a nice dinner here:

post-31834-143142676924_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow it's back to reality, till Missouri, next year.

Good night folks!

Congrats on completing your trip John. It still too bad I couldn't make it down when you were in Minneapolis. I'm just getting to the tail end of the bug I got now. I will be sure to give you a call when I'm in NY next summer. We will have to grab a coffee then.

Thanks for posting all the great photos! It's like going along for the ride. Just without the leg cramps :cool:

Upper state NY is beautiful country, almost a good as the MA Berkshires!! Actually, when I travel west of MA, I've always chosen I90 through upper state NY instead of I80 through PA.

John- thank you for posting all your photos of your journey. It was fun to log in and follow along. What a terrific accomplishment!! Congratulations!

Looking forward to getting together sometime before fall, and flying wing again

in the "express" for the run to Springfield next year! Glad you all made it home safe and the Electra ran like a top. Welcome back!

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)

Thanks for tuning in guys. It was a great time and Thursday when I went to register the car here at home, the DMV Clerk went through her plate inventory and came up with this:

post-31834-143142682316_thumb.jpg

Which was quite appropriate since it took 27 days to get it here and it's a 72...

That's great John-did you use a GPS too?

Thanks for tuning in guys. It was a great time and Thursday when I went to register the car here at home, the DMV Clerk went through her plate inventory and came up with this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]265291[/ATTACH]

Which was quite appropriate since it took 27 days to get it here and it's a 72...

That's great John-did you use a GPS too?

In fact Dave, I did use the GPS more than I care to think about, including one unfortunate incident. I used the one on my cell phone which also has a voice navigation option. I found early on that the voice over component really drains the battery so I left that off, and in fact I do not really know how to start that. Anyhow, just before using one particularly busy rest room in Wyoming, somehow I turned it on. And as I walked in the door that female voice comes on and says "go 300 yards and turn left". I tried to ignore it but when I stepped into place it continued, "Turn around, and go 300 yards and turn left" ... It said a few more things as I tried in vain to shut it off without taking it out of my pocket. Needless to say I was happy when I finished my business and got the heck out of there.