brake pump dont shut off

Guest GregTC

Guest GregTC

I have 2 1989 2.2 one of the tc was goin to be a parts car an has been sitting for year but I decided to put it back on b the road so I have put it back together an got it fiered up but I noticed that brake pump wont shut off it sounds like it reaches pressure, the pedal seems low an the brake warning light comes on so the question is pressure switch or accumulator

Thanks Greg

I have 2 1989 2.2 one of the tc was goin to be a parts car an has been sitting for year but I decided to put it back on b the road so I have put it back together an got it fiered up but I noticed that brake pump wont shut off it sounds like it reaches pressure, the pedal seems low an the brake warning light comes on so the question is pressure switch or accumulator

Thanks Greg

More questions than answers.

You say--- pump isn't shutting off and sounds like it reaches pressure. If I understand correctly the brake warning light comes on after you step on the pedal, so I am guessing that the red brake warning light does go off at some time and the pump continues to run???

Does the pump run for more than a minute or two before the red light goes out?

Does the yellow ABS light go out after the red brake light goes out?

If the yellow ABS light does go out does the pump stop running?

Does the pump instantly start running again when the brake pedal is pressed?

If the pump starts running when the peddle is pressed, Does the red light come on when the pump starts running?

Brakes will work without ABS, ABS can't work without brakes and pressure to run ABS is higher than needed for safe brakes, so for now we can ignore the yellow light if red goes out and pump stops running. If both lights go out and the pump stops running and one or two light taps on the brake peddle get the lights on and the pump running the pressure switch should be good and the accumulator is toast, time for a new one.

Need to know more detail to give you a better answer.

Guest GregTC
More questions than answers.

You say--- pump isn't shutting off and sounds like it reaches pressure. If I understand correctly the brake warning light comes on after you step on the pedal, so I am guessing that the red brake warning light does go off at some time and the pump continues to run???

Does the pump run for more than a minute or two before the red light goes out?

Does the yellow ABS light go out after the red brake light goes out?

If the yellow ABS light does go out does the pump stop running?

Does the pump instantly start running again when the brake pedal is pressed?

If the pump starts running when the peddle is pressed, Does the red light come on when the pump starts running?

Brakes will work without ABS, ABS can't work without brakes and pressure to run ABS is higher than needed for safe brakes, so for now we can ignore the yellow light if red goes out and pump stops running. If both lights go out and the pump stops running and one or two light taps on the brake peddle get the lights on and the pump running the pressure switch should be good and the accumulator is toast, time for a new one.

Need to know more detail to give you a better answer.

I don't get a abs light, when I turn the key on the pump come on and the red brake light comes on after the pump runs for about 30 seconds the light goes off but the pump continues too run it eventually starts to slow down like its reaching pressure but just continues too run, if I push on the brake about 4-5 times the red brake light come on for a bit and then goes back off

I don't get a abs light, when I turn the key on the pump come on and the red brake light comes on after the pump runs for about 30 seconds the light goes off but the pump continues too run it eventually starts to slow down like its reaching pressure but just continues too run, if I push on the brake about 4-5 times the red brake light come on for a bit and then goes back off

Not to say that when all is said and done that you won't need a new accumulator, but what you have here is all electrical

Find out if the bulb for ABS fault light is good. Now important to know.

Give all brake relays good raptap with medium length screwdriver handle.

Clean all brake switch and relay contacts.

Check wiring for shorts caused by chewed insulation.

Try again and note any changes and let me know what happens.