J. I. CASE TRUCKS?

Guest Jon Lundberg

Guest Jon Lundberg

Where do I go or whom do I contact to gain detailed information on 1920's J. I. Case trucks? My issue involves a 1920 Case 1-ton mounted with a grain/produce body. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Jon: Just noticed your post; haven't been in the site for a few days...

Pulled out my trusty Mroz--no mention!!

Pulled out my trusty AQ "5000 Marques", and there it was in the truck m'f'r's list: Case, mfd by JI Case Plow Works 1920-23...Mroz is usually pretty reliable...

Found a thumbnail, saying Case bought an option on Stephenson Mtr Trk Co in 1912 but apparently didn't exercise it; per Mroz Stephenson failed in 1913, and his mention makes no reference to Case.

The thumbnail I found went on to say Case returned to trucks in 1920, building trucks until 1923, but gave no other info...

My suggestions would be to post on the Case tractor forums and the old-truck forums like ATHS; there's also a pretty good old car and truck engine forum on smokstak...

If you're close to a decent pub lib there may be a book or two on Case history that might mention their truck forays...

I assume you know the Case Mtr Car Co of New Bremen, OH,, who also built trucks 1910-11 or so had (per Mroz) no connection to JI Case

Something about that Case truck thumbnail bothered me (oldtractors-engines.blogspot.com), so dug out my Case notes...

The thumbnail says the Case Threshing Machine Co took the option on the Stephenson truck in 1912, failed to exercise it, and later "...returned to trucks in 1915, building them into the 20s.."...

But AQ's list showed the Case truck built by the Case Plow Works 1920-23...The Threshing Machine Co and the Plow Works, although both owned by heirs/family members of J I Case, had been two totally separate companies during those periods...

It's quite possible the originator of the thumbnail confused the two companies, as many did at the time and since, or may not've realized they were separate companies rather than divisions or similar...

No sources were listed in that account, so there's also any possible discrepancies in the dates; such discrepancies are all too common in recollections of earlier years...

Well, Jon, if you're still out there---

Seems I did some digging around on this in 2007, when I was first getting interested in old trucks (not the trucks as such but which US vendors engines were in them)...

Run search on aths of J I Case Plow Works Truck (or was that a Google search??--it's late here again) and a thread by tseaborg 1-2-07 should come up; ignore the Triumph etc comments. My comments are under "clueless", one of my handles at the time, and there are also comments re' a Threshing Machine Co truck in a link to a 11-22-06 smokstak Lugs/Cleats thread.

Sorry don't have time to dig around any further--there should be comprehensive Case history books for both companies available...

As I am the chief moderator at SmokStak and spend WAY too much time there I can safely say I have never seen or heard anything about a Case truck as built by J. I. Case or any other J. I. Case derivative.

If there was I would surely remember it especially as I'm pretty fond of Case cars....... :)

There is a museum on an old ranch in Wyoming that has a large art collection. It was owned by a man who had a Case dealership in the 20's. In a couple of the reviews it is mentioned to have a rare Case truck still on the property. One review had a picture of it and said it was a 1923. If interested, it might be worth a call to see what info is available http://www.bradfordbrintonmemorial.com/

Many thxx to all who took the time and effort to reply...

My curiosity piqued again, I posted the question on the Lugs/Cleats forum at smokstak (I, too, spend too much time there!)...

Turns out that Guy Fay, who posts there, is obviously a Case Guru, and was kind enough to link my question to an earlier smokstak thread that included, among much other Case history info, the article linked above and a full page ad on the Plow Works truck, generally listed as 1920-23...

I still have to go through that old thread again, as so far I've seen nothing that explains Georgano's Case Threshing Machine Co truck, supposedly 1910 or so to 1924. altho it's quite possible I've overlooked something...

I've assumed the Plow Works truck was relatively low prod and marketed primarily, if not wholly, to the farm/ag community, as it, nor the TM Co truck, appear in any of my old parts catalogs or in the 1920 Power Wagon truck spec lists...

• 2 months later...
Guest ramiller

I have some pictures of a 1921 J.I.Case Truck that was restored by a Gentleman in Pennsylvania it was on display at the Nittany Valley Antique Farm Machinery Association's September meet. I can send pics of the truck if you want. Ron Miller.

Edited by ramiller
spelling (see edit history)