Adventure... yeah baby!

Lahti35

Okey dokey so I bought this very nice 1960 f250 survivor with 51,000 on the odometer that was used as a fleet truck for a dealer in indiana. "Because I can" the plan is is to drive it from its current location in lowell IN, to midland MI... 300 odd miles or so of back roads at a blistering 45-50mph over two days. I'm sure my arms will be twice as big and i'll hear half as well by the time the adventure is over!

The truck runs great, took it for a spin yesterday and I could only find one issue that worried me. When increasing rpm the generator light gets brighter. Anybody know what causing this? In my mind I would think that the generator is over charging, the voltage regulator is kaput or the battery is toast. Maybe cruddy wiring connections? With the ease at which it starts i'm thinking its not the battery.

Luckily I already have an early 60's ford falcon and parts so I have a generator that is working aok to swap, the seller has a new voltage regulator that comes with it and I have a good battery. Obviously I don't want a flame out on the trip. The seller has taken it on long trips before with no issues, just the bright gen light the higher the rpm.

I'm interested in any ideas that could be the root of this issue...

Pictures of the "tank"...

post-90347-143142638566_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143142638569_thumb.jpg

post-90347-14314263857_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking its more electrical in nature and will be sure to examine the charging circut in detail. From what i've been reading on other car forums it typically turns out to be a short or a wire with high resistance due to corrosion or physical damage... either way the trip is on... two days of some sort of adventure! I'll be getting my kit together and heading down there soon!