Chrysler New Yorker 1949 startingproblem

Guest TheWanderer

Guest TheWanderer

Hi my Chrysler New Yorker 1949 with a straight 8 won't start, because the engine won't go round if i dont helping it pushing the fanblade. I tried to do the same thing without the sparkplugs in, but it didn't helped. Any suggestions about what's wrong?

Sounds like the starter is not working, or the battery is flat, or there are dirty connections, or too small cables. Do you know your car is positive ground?

I would start by testing the battery, and cleaning all the connections. If everything else checks out good, take the starter off and take it to a good auto electric rebuilder in your area. There should be 2 or 3 in your area, phone around to find one who can rebuild your starter.

Guest TheWanderer

Thanks, the problem was the starter. I had done some wrong conections

There shuold not be ground conection on the starter, because the ground is in the block allready.

Thanks for your answer, greetings from Sweden

I was referring to the fact that the positive battery post is grounded. This is the opposite of new cars.

Usually there is a ground wire from the battery to the engine, and a smaller ground wire from the engine to the body. This is necessary because the engine is mounted on rubber.