FUEL PUMP 53 SPECIAL

sweetpotato

There is what appears to be an electric fuel pump in the gas line just forward of the gas tank mounted on the RH side to the frame. It is unhooked electrically and the engine mounted pump works fine. When I put 6v to it it sounds like a thrashing machine. Can't find any reference to this pump in the shop manual. Is this original to a 53 special? If so is it rebuildable by a shadetree mechanic?

The 6 volt pump installed near the gas tank was definitley not original. I do not think the electic pump can be rebuilt, but you can replace it with a similar pump. I believe Antique Cellar or a name similar carries replacements.

Joe, BCa 33493

That's kinda what I thought. I see that you can buy and inline 6v pump on ebay for about $38 . The ad says it can be used as a primary or supplemental pump. Not sure why you would need to supplement the mechanical pump. Quicker starts?

When a car sits for a while, often the gas evaporates from the carb making starting difficult until the mechanical pump fills the carb. An electric pump that is controlled by a switch can be used before attempting to start a car to get the cab filled, making starting easier on the starter.

The electric pump can be turned off once the engine starts. The mechanical fuel pump will suck the gas through the electric pump with no problem.

I have electric auxiliary pumps on all my old cars