The heat is on

30DodgePanel

In regards to the "long hard winter thread" this past year we in the south west and south felt your pain.

While some of you were buried in we walked around with shorts and sandals reflecting on our younger years thinking of suffering the same frigid torment back east or up north from whence we came. Now ? Here in the southwest we have no clothing left to shed....Is this our torment ? So it is... and it's a very real danger. Daily we hear on the news how hikers from other states need to be rescued off the local mountains as they were not aware of these dangers and for some it is a fatal mistake.

It's brutal here currently with the monsoons, high humidity and dew point. Our nights cool down to almost 90 now (that wasn't a cheer by the way). The heat is so bad I'm starting to see mirage's while sitting in the AC and looking out my window. I'd post pics of the heat but it's difficult to photograph as you can imagine.

I sure as hell don't know how some of the early pioneers did it in the early days on horseback or model T's...especially with the clothing they wore.. I just couldn't imagine....

dust-bowl.jpg

To those that do not know, this is one of the most dangerous types of heat for the human body for various reasons while dealing with many different symptoms so please be careful and be prepared when coming to the southwest for vacation or visits.

A few years back we had an elderly widow friend of the family (best lady you'd ever meet) who was tending to her laundry on the clothesline in here backyard. Since she was living alone no one knew it had happened but she tripped and fell in her back yard in a secluded corner of her lot behind her house and landed on a concrete slab and could not get up (keep in mind this was in late July early August). One can only imagine the detailed horror she must of encountered in her last moments as the shock set in on her body but the heat did not care, it showed no mercy.

This summer please remember to check on your elderly and handicap neighbors or anyone in need. You never know when they may need your help when the heat is on.

Dave, thanks for a great reminder..

and many of our "old-car friends" could trip, stumble, or have a health incident in their garage or workshop - and the heat is no friend...

Check up on your friends on a regular basis --- worst case scenario, you'll be relieved that all is OK, and sit to enjoy a lemonade or a cool brew.

Cars can be repaired - sometimes friends cannot.

In Las Vegas - 112 degrees 4% humidity perfectly blue sky and you can't pick up a chrome wrench that was left out in the sun for only short time.

Clear skies in Phoenix today along with lower humidity, but the day is young... the monsoons own the evenings around here.

As for wrenches, I completely understand.

I handle chrome and stainless tools daily when we have exterior contracts so anything after 11 am you'll usually see me wearing gloves which gets me a few strange looks from onlookers who don't understand (extension ladders, spray equipment, large crescents, pipe wrenches, steel of all kinds etc...). Wish I had a dime for every time I heard a rookie say "OW OW OW" as he grabbed a crescent baking in the sun for 5 hours with his bare hands. As I said, the sun shows no mercy...

Plenty of fluids and shady breaks - Stay :cool: and keep an eye on coworkers who proudly think they can handle it. I've seen the strongest men break under these conditions, and some of them never came back or were never the same afterwards. Heat stroke isn't a joke.

Went to check on my elderly mother in law who lives a few miles from us this morning and to access the damage from last nights storm.

Yesterday started out a beautiful sunny day but as was mentioned earlier the monsoon owns the evenings around here...

Although not the type of damage that is seen in places like OK, TX or tornado alley the "microburst's" that we get locally can do substantial damage. Enough to twist road signs, bring down traffic lights, remove roofs from car wash facilities, and bring down countless trees and plantation of all kinds. The heat is brutal through it all and doesn't let up.

post-69994-14314263924_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142639118_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142639151_thumb.jpg

post-69994-14314263918_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142639209_thumb.jpg

Crazy weather indeed. It has been very cool in Memphis so far this late spring/early summer. Today was a stinker though, with a heat advisory just expiring (6:00 PM). Last time I looked we were at 91 degrees and 63 percent humidity. Very uncomfortable. As of yesterday we were at 41.91 inches of rain for the year. Normal to date is 31.80 inches. Yikes!!!

You call them microbursts, we call them weather bombs. A few days ago the town of Kamloops in south central British Columbia set a temperature record of 41 degrees Celsius - about 103 F. Kamloops tends to be hot and dry during the summer, but this was definitely not the norm. A couple of days later the city was hit by a weather bomb that dropped 25 millimetres of rain on it in 20 minutes. The result was massive flooding - reported to be as much as 20 feet deep in some places - and dozens of mudslides because the city is built on a hill. Cleanup is going to take a while!

Terry

They're officially calling our storm the other night a "macroburst" see pics below. Seems the damage was more wide spread and the winds reached 100mph in some places. I don't believe any fatalities have been reported thank God.

The low last night was 87.

26123112_BG4.jpg

7-27-14-GMAZ-7A-STORM-DAMAGE-1.jpg

storm0808raustadt03.jpg

Yes those are power lines beneath the tree.

7-13-14-9P-MONSOON-STORM-1.jpg

26123112_BG6.jpg

26123112_BG7.jpg

Been a beautiful summer here in PA. Only a few stinking hot days. Mostly in the low to mid 80's with moderate humidity and adequate rain fall. Oh well. Everyone gets their turn in the barrel one way or another.................Bob

Guest Skyking

Bob, are you taking any one of your cars over to Macungie this coming weekend? I see the weather is suppose to be nice.

Guest Skyking

Yes, we are bringing two, my son's '56 convertible and my '54 convertible. Hopefully it's just showers. Looking forward to seeing your '56.

Yes, we are bringing two, my son's '56 convertible and my '54 convertible. Hopefully it's just showers. Looking forward to seeing your '56.

Latest fcst has backed precip probability from 50 to 40%. I'll look for Mets with RI plates...............Bob

Guest Skyking
Latest fcst has backed precip probability from 50 to 40%. I'll look for Mets with RI plates...............Bob

Bob, hopefully it will be less than 10% by the weekend..... See you there!

Guest Skyking
Yes she is, Dave. See you guys then................Bob

Looked for you today Bob but didn't see your car anywhere. The weather was perfect! Weathermen were wrong again, as usual...........

Yup, weather was a treat. Nice change from the usual frying pan. I thought all the Mets would be parked together as usual. Guess not. Someone said everything was all spread out willy nilly. I agree with that. I looked for you for a bit and gave up. I got there early and was parked in the first row right along the entrance road. I had to leave at 1400 but they had the rows parked so close I had to ask guys to pull their cars forward so I could squeeze through. Lots of folks complained about the new parking system. Weather was perfect but I was disappointed in the flea market. Don't know if the fcst scared the vendors off or if it's the new normal. A vendor I know pretty well was real disappointed and said he was packing up at noon............Bob

Guest Skyking

Yes Bob, the parking was disappointing for the amount of space they had there. I think the weather scared people away. Again, the weather people screwed up. The turnout for all three days was way off. I was parked somewhere behind you along with 12 Mets. Under the trees where we normally park was empty. Bummer! I'm glad I decided to go. We normally stay until Monday, but my son's dog died Saturday at home and he was all bummed out the rest of the weekend, so we packed up after the show Sunday and left. Sorry we didn't meet up.......

Bob

Sorry to hear of your son's dog. Been there, done that, it hurts. I couldn't understand why the Met's choice spot under the trees was left open. You guys were always dependable participants. I spoke this AM with the vendor I mentioned. He said he didn't even break even. He's going from 3 spaces to 1 and he's just going to "throw some junk on a table". I hate to see the show contract like this. It's one of my favorites...............Bob

Guest Skyking

Thanks Bob........ We complained about the tree area and they said they didn't have the help with parking like they normally did, (whatever that has to do with anything). I, like you, don't want to see that show go bad. I always liked their arrangements. Too bad for them if it does change.

Bob