Gas Level Gauge

Guest Classic Rog

Guest Classic Rog

Hi, The gas level gauge on my 55 Ford gives erratic readings. When I fill the tank it goes to full mark, but when it reads at half I am close to empty. I recently ran out of gas on a country road and unfortuately didn't have my cell phone with me. I would like to know if theres a way to remedy this problem. I'm getting too old to hitchhike to town. Is this a worn out gauge or maybe need to replace the sender unit? Thanks, Classic Rog.

Guest Commodore

I would say it is the sender unit. This video talks about one way to test a sender unit.

You can buy a new fuel sender unit at your local auto parts store Spectra Premium part number FG95A.

Guest Classic Rog
I would say it is the sender unit. This video talks about one way to test a sender unit.

You can buy a new fuel sender unit at your local auto parts store Spectra Premium part number FG95A.

Thanks Commodore, Didn't realize it was on youtube. This definitely helped, especially that I won't have to drop the tank to get at the sender.

Rog, Probably the sender as was stated. but Ford( among others) used a voltage regulator to maintain 5volts to the fuel and temperature gauges. If the new sender does not solve the issue, aim at the VR behind the instrument cluster. Of course the gauge itself might need repair.

Guest Classic Rog
Rog, Probably the sender as was stated. but Ford( among others) used a voltage regulator to maintain 5volts to the fuel and temperature gauges. If the new sender does not solve the issue, aim at the VR behind the instrument cluster. Of course the gauge itself might need repair.

Thanks, I'm probably going to replace the sender first. It could be pretty old. Rog

Edited by Classic Rog (see edit history)