1955 packard

Guest cwhit171

Guest cwhit171

I own a 1955 Packard clipper deluxe sedan and I'm wanting to install a new headliner. Does anyone know if the windshield has to be removed to do this.

Thanks, Chris

It does not. Just the inside finishing moldings around the windshield and rear window and a couple of short moldings on the side near the back seat need to come off. There are toothed retainers and an occasional tack holding the headliner along the sides. The headliner is glued to the body above the windshield and around the rear window. In the odd chance you do find a bit of headliner under the rubber, generally there is enough metal surrounding the rubber that the headliner can be glued on the outside overlapping the rubber and finish molding will cover the area.

Guest cwhit171

Thank you for the information. I was told by a co-worker that the windshield and back glass would have to be removed to replace the headliner. I'm glad to find out that it does not have to be removed. I'm now debating whether to attempt this myself or have it done. Thanks, Chris

That was recommended on earlier Packards -- not so much on the front but the headliner did go under the rubber holding rear glass. Even those can be glued on the flange which extends outside the rubber. Several have done it recently on their cars and felt no need to remove the glass. The V8's have a bit of a different rubber arrangement.

As to doing it yourself, that kind of depends on your skill, temperament, and perseverance. I did my first one on a 56 alone and it came out OK -- although there was one tiny wrinkle near the rear glass I never did get completely out. One thing I did learn is if you are doing it alone, it is much easier to remove the front seat so you have access and room to crawl back and forth. I didn't do that and climbing out one door and back in another got old in a hurry. Believe me, there was plenty of that climbing around required. If you can get a helper it goes so much better because when needed one can be in front and one in back or one person on each side. That headliner is heavier than it looks. You think you have it supported in the bows and give a little tug to stretch the fabric and the whole mess starts coming down. That is where the temperament part comes in.