1937 Chevrolet Master Replacement Battery and Wiring

Guest Daniel Allen

Guest Daniel Allen

Hello All,

This is my first post and I apologize if I have placed it in the wrong place. I recently got my Great Grandfather's 1937 Chevrolet Master Sedan. It has been in my Great Uncle's garage since 1977 (rear end went out) and has not run since the mid 1990s (electrical problem). The car itself is intact with little modification. My goal right now it to get her up and running and eventually back on the road. I am looking for any good advice on how to go about making that happen. I figured I would start with the battery and the wiring. What are some good options? I have read a little about the Optima 6 volt and it seems to be well liked. Is this a good battery for 37 Chevy? I have also researched a bit on Painless wiring and it too received favorable reviews. Are these good options? Are there better choices for my car? Thanks in advance for your help.

Daniel

It depends on where your battery is located. My batteries are located under the front seat so the Optima was a good choice for me. I also use a Battery Tender charger hooked up so I don't have to keep lifting the seat in and out of the car for battery charging.

Guest Daniel Allen

The battery is located in the floor right in front of the passenger seat. Thanks. I will pick one up.

Daniel,

As 58 Mustang pointed out, "Chevys of the 40's" is usually a good source. You should also check out the "Filling Station", www.fillingstation.com The Filling Station lists a wiring harness for a 1937 sedan (Part No. WP-37) for $498.00. I have an unrestored 1938 Master Deluxe sedan which sooner-than-later, will be given a new wiring harness. In my opinion, the wiring on these old cars are their "Achilles Heel" and should be replaced if you plan to enjoy one as a "driver". I enjoy driving my '38, and folks seem to like looking it over, even in its somewhat tattered unrestored condition. Just don't plan to cruise the Interstate in your '37 since these old cars start to sound unhappy at 50-55 mph.

Enjoy your '37,

Grog

Guest marlin65

Join Vintage Chevrolet Club of America. Tons of help, parts sources, tech advisors, regional meets etc etc etc. VCCA.ORG. Ed in Florida