OVERDRIVE INSTRUCTION

Guest suebelle

Guest suebelle

I have been just getting started on driving my 1948 Continental. The overdrive cable is broken and I have a new old one ready to install. My question is twofold: first, are there any problems to warch out for in the replacement/ installation? Are there written instructions available?Second, I have never driven a car with overdrive. Clearly this car is designed to have that extra gear but are there instructions on how to drive it with overdrive? Any do's and don't's about driving with overdrive?

I don't know of any written instructions for installing the control cable but it really isn't all that hard. It would be easier if you had the center floor panel removed for access to the clamp on the side of the transmission and connection to the OD shift lever on the side of the OD unit itself. You can also check out the wiring more easily. However I believe you could get it installed without removing the floor panel but you would still have remove the pedal (mud) pan under the car to gain access.

Operation: With the control cable pushed all the way in ...this allows the OD to work. At car speed above 23-25 mph lift you foot from the accelerator pedal momentarily. This allows the freewheeling unit work and the solenoid to make the shift to OD. to kick it down for extra power (hills/passing) press the accelerator pedal down to the toe board. The pedal will contact a switch which momentarily kills the engine and removes power from the solenoid which takes it out of OD for extra power. This downshift happens very quick. Simply release the accelerator momentarily and it shifts back in OD. When the car speeds drops below 23-25 mph the OD will disengage and the car will be in conventional drive (and freewheeling). Never attempt to pull the OD cable out (lock out position) while the car is operating in overdrive. or while it is in freewheeling. This can be done after kicking it down out of OD or when in freewheeling mode by bringing up engine speed to match car speed before pulling the control cable out.. You can also lock out the OD by pulling the control cable out with the car at rest.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)