Registration of antique vehicle in Pennsylvania

mrcvs

It looks like, as of July 2014, that all is needed now to get antique plates for a car is the title, completed application, and a check for $75.00. (Photos no longer needed). Is this correct? I have a car I have been meaning to register for some time but the inability to print out photos has prevented this from happening. Please confirm or refute. Thanks!

Good for you! None of their business, really, what the car looks like. I had difficulty registering my 1917 Maxwell as it is 90% + original, and looks like a 97 year old car. They rejected it the first time because it did not look showroom new. I had to doctor up the photos to get it through the second time around.

I remember my frustration 15 years ago when I tried to register my first Crosley. Ity really angered me that the car had to appear showroom new to be registered in Pa. I did one a few years later by putting plexiglas in windows and taping on hubcaps to make it look acceptable to them. This is a welcome change and I am glad they did it.

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, sent in the $75.00, and a letter came back that another $50 and an insurance card was needed. Mailed it back in and the antique plate came back, but the title was not mailed with the plate. Any ideas as to if the title will ever come back separately or do I need to do something.

GOOD LUCK in actually reaching the Pennsylvania DMV by telephone. Trying to reach them on various occasions by telephone over the YEARS ALWAYS yields a busy signal. Congressmen in this state ought to MANDATE that you reach a live voice, hopefully without having to go through a canned recording, this not even being an option!

Congrats! Next time go to:

[TABLE=width: 100%]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: big, colspan: 2, align: center][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: tiny, colspan: 2] [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small, width: 100%][TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: med, colspan: 2] Ruth Miller, Notary Public[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: tiny] [/TD]

[TD=class: med]6158 Rt 309

Germansville, PA 18053[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

They are experienced now with dealing with the new antique car and vintage plate rules. And they are not too far from you.

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

Congrats! Next time go to:

[TABLE=width: 100%]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: big, colspan: 2, align: center][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: tiny, colspan: 2][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: small, width: 100%][TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: med, colspan: 2] Ruth Miller, Notary Public[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: tiny][/TD]

[TD=class: med]6158 Rt 309

Germansville, PA 18053[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

They are experienced now with dealing with the new antique car and vintage plate rules. And they are not too far from you.

Actually, I did well. Just ended up costing more than expected. Thought it was $75, but ended up being $125. Also, if going through a third party, you still need photos and I have no way to take pictures and get them on a computer to print out and cannot locate an old camera with film photos.

• 2 years later...

In 2015 I registered the last antique vehicle I bought and did not need any photos.

I remember when I bought my 1962 Triumph TR4 back in 2008 the photos showed a paint touch up on the right door approximately 8 inches in diameter that did not exactly match the rest of the car.  The car was a perfect candidate for AACA HPOF class, but PennDOT would not allow me to register it as an antique at the time due to the color mismatch on the door.

I bought the car with the intent of immediately restoring it, so I just got the title transferred then let the normal registration expire while I was restoring the car.  I registered it as an antique with no photos after the law changes.  

Under the letter of the law during the time when photos were required, there was no way you could have registered many of the HPOF cars with antique plates unless they were in perfect condition visually.  At the time you would never have been able to register an HPOF car that has distressed paint but are in good mechanical condition with antique plates in PA.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/25/2014 at 4:59 PM, Dwight Romberger said:

OH, and that is pronounced Grrrmensville for all of you out there that were not blessed to be born Pennsylvania Dutch!

On this side of the Blue Mtn that's pronounced Grrrmenswill........ One old Dutchmen says to the other:  "Ven ve hat are daughter ve vanted to call her Chain (Jane) but ve cound't say it so ve chust called her Wickey (Vicky)".......;)............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)