1955 Power window motor

Paul Falabella

The L/R power window motor had been working intermittently. Changed the window yesterday and now seems to be intermittent full time. Tried to apply voltage directly to leads not a flinch. All other windows operate. I have to say I moved the motor without the window glass(despite what the books says) a fraction of an inch to replace the down stop bumper. Could that kill a motor?

My question. The master body book lists two different part number motors, interchangeable with all other GM makes. It is, to me anyway, a little unclear which is for L/R.

Also OPGI lists a repro motor for 54-59 Caddy's. Anyone had any experience with that?

Thanks

4905387 RH; 4905388 LH

The repro should fit if it says it is a direct replacement.

Note: to get it to work jump 12v negative to the body of the motor and 12v positive to either of the wires; not much goes wrong with those motors that disassembly and cleaning of the commutator will not solve.

Pull the whole assembly out of the door and clamp in a vise, then clamp the arms with vise grips (think ahead) before removing the motor, or it will hurt you.

This is what happened. The wiring for the motor is routed through a U-Channel cleverly disguised as a hinge at the bottom of the door. Apparently there was some chafing going on where the wiring passes into the door. When door was wide open to work on, it opened the circuit.

I put the new window in, partially closed the door and it goes up and down from the master switch. Will look at wiring more closely, but glad it ain't the motor!

Thanks