Old family photo help, please

Guest Rhulsey

Guest Rhulsey

While sorting through old family photos for a family history project, I ran across this pic. there is a stamp on the back "2 29" which may or may not mean a thing, as well as a handwritten note, but no date. Can anyone here tell me what make a and model the truck might be? Many, many thanks for your expertise.

Reg Hulsey

post-102039-143142634084_thumb.jpg

Guest mikeburch

Looking at the cowl lights on the vehicle, I am thinking that might be a passenger car, coupe or pick-up pulling a trailer.

Some might be able to recognize the cowl lights. They are not FORD.

Thank you,

mikeburch

Edited by mikeburch (see edit history)

Some observations:

Woman's dress and hairstyle suggest 1932-34.

The body style of the vehicle indicates probably 1927 or maybe 1928. It may be a Hupmobile. The cowl lights could be from a later vehicle.

I don't think it is a trailer. It is much too close to allow the vehicle to turn easily, plus the door of the structure can't be opened fully.

Having said that, if that is the case, someone went to a lot of trouble to make a vehicle capable of carrying it.

Terry

My guess would be a 32 REO. Some REO's had very similar cowl lights and the protruding horizontal line in the splash aprons ( barely visible in the photo ) are also consistent with some REO's. The two body lines behind the cab that swoop up are throwing me though... plus the height of the people next to the vehicle and the wood wheels tells me it's a 3/4 ton or lower rated vehicle. Makes me wonder if it was a conversion of some kind....

What ever it is it's a very rare truck nowadays for sure... "IF" there are any left.

I would agree with early 30's for a time reference..

As for the writing on the back and the "2 29" it may have been a family members attempt at dating the photo from memory of an event, I'm sure we all have photos that are similarly miss labeled. The curved windshield is a strong indication for the 31-34 range regardless.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I'm thinking REO, too, but with cowl lamps from some car that were added later. The cowl lamp does not seem to fit quite right. I am thinking more like a 1926 REO....different top style, but the cowl, hood and fenders are very similar.....

post-37352-143142634765_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest Rhulsey

The "2 29" on the back is a stamp, not handwriting. Here is the written note:

"This is the picture of our house and car before we left Allen’s sisters. Theys a window in the back and two on the other side."

We aren't sure who these people are, in fact. This part of my family that we assume these folks belong to moved from rural Oklahoma to SE Missouri in 1932. I greatly appreciate your help - it helps narrow down the time frame some.

Reg

My observations, if I may: curved windshield, square doors; 3 external hinges, door handle lands between 2 horizontal body lines, vertical louvered hood with ID panel above the louvers, heavier than a basic pickup (>1/2T).

I looked at the Reo, Mack, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, Indiana, White, Brockway and maybe a couple more. All via Google images and http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/OldTrucks/ - my conclusion is: "You know - those old trucks are really cool!"

But - I am no help on this today, but thanks for the fun of looking!

Chuck in Kansas