1930 Franklin Dietrich Speedster up for auction August 16, 2014

Guest TobyS

Speedster was the Franklin model name for the car, it wasn't meant to refer to the oft- mentioned speedster such as a stripped down Model T....

Funny how some names stick with us as referring to a specific image, when in fact, it's just a name....didn't Volkswagen make a Phaeton that wasn't?

Franklins are a passion car, such as Stanley's. You have to feel a passion for them, because they don't fit the standard idea of water cooled and so forth.

Also, they are usually somewhat unfortunate in appearance. Even a Dietrech design doesn't seem to save it...

Don't get me wrong, I like Franklins, and have owned a 1907 and a 1917..... But they aren't for everyone, thus the somewhat lower prices for a well engineered automobile.....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

I apologize if I offended anyone with the appearance comment, I really like Franklins, it's just my personal opinion that some models had visually challenged styling. I think the marque is a tremendous value in the old car market, you get a great car for the money.....and there were a lot of '20's cars that had appearance issues, as mentioned...

No offense taken, Trimacar. You are a well-respected member of these forums and your comments are always welcome. Even comments about ugly Franklins.

If we can't take good-natured jibes about our cars, then something is wrong.

Now if you really want to have some fun, I've owned 2 Fiats and a couple of Ramblers.

No offense taken, Trimacar. You are a well-respected member of these forums and your comments are always welcome. Even comments about ugly Franklins.

If we can't take good-natured jibes about our cars, then something is wrong.

Now if you really want to have some fun, I've owned 2 Fiats and a couple of Ramblers.

I also owned Fiat and a couple of Ramblers...

as well as the same Franklin and a few of the same Citroens which Trimacar also owned..

Quirky with exceptional engineering can be good, too !!