1969 Pontiac Bonneville

Guest dlb0518

Guest dlb0518

I have my father's 1969 Pontiac Bonneville that I need to sell. The problem is that I have had many people give me conflicting "stories" on what it is worth so I am looking for some input from some experts on here. My father passed away last June and hung on to this car all of this time. It was garage kept for most of it's life but most recently has been sitting outside. I was able to see the car the other day and it is not in great condition but better than I thought it would be. It does need new tires (which is easy). I am not sure if it runs or not because I get different stories from the guys who are keeping the car for us. The car is the coupe and has the 428 engine. One of the guys at the shop offered me $500. Is that ridiculous or should I try and get a little more for it. Again, I am at a loss because while I know that car is not in pristine shape and condition, I do think it's worth more than just $500 but I'm not sure how much more. Any help and guidance is much appreciated!

post-102019-143142633168_thumb.jpg

post-102019-143142633171_thumb.jpg

Mr. or Miss DLB, my interpretation is that your car--if it runs--is in "#4" condition.

If not, consider it perhaps "#5."

Those numbers are from a widely used scale by the widely followed

Old Cars Report Price Guide. That scale goes from #1

(a perfect award-winning show car that is trailered, not driven)

to #6 (a car useful primarily for parts).

#4 condition is described as "A drivable vehicle needing no, or

only minor, work to be functional. Also, a deteriorated restoration

or a very poor amateur restoration. All components may need

restoration to be excellent, but the car is mostly usable as is.

This is a driver. It may be in the process of restoration or its owner

may have big plans, but even from 20 feet away, there is no doubt

that it needs a lot of help."

#5 condition "needs complete restoration of body, chassis, and interior.

May or may not be running, but isn't weathered, wrecked, and/or stripped

to the point of being useful only for parts. This car needs everything. It may

not be operable, but it essentially all there and has only minor surface rust,

if any rust at all. While presenting a real challenge to the restorer, it won't

have him doing a lot of chasing for missing parts."

In condition #1, my price guide says $20,500, plus 30% for the 428 engine;

in #4 condition, my price guide says $4100 plus 30%.

In #5 condition, $2460 plus 30%.

In #6 condition, $820 plus 30%.

There are other pricing guides, such as at www.nada.com or www.hagerty.com.

In today's market, I don't think cars like yours sell well: People want excellent

cars that they don't have to put a lot of money into. People fix up and restore

cars because the love the hobby, but it is almost never a financial gain.

There will be someone for your car, but it's highly unlikely that anyone would

consider your car desirable enough to put tens of thousands of dollars into restoring it.

Whether your car runs or not, and whether it has any rust, will make a big difference

to a buyer. But I think $500 is well below the right price. What do other Forum members think?

Check with another " shop" and ask what they might charge to get it running. It should be worth $1500 minimum running and drivable.

If it was running when it was parked , it may need $2-300 to get it going again. If it quit running , then was parked ,

it could cost more then the car will sell for. It's hard to sell a car not running because of the unknown.

The fellow that offered the $500 probably feels the 428 engine is worth that, but there may be a lot of labor and parts in

that car to get it road able. Not seeing the car close up makes it hard to estimate a value. It is not one of the most desirable

Pontiacs built. Good luck on your sale

Old Cars Price Guide is widely known as "optimistic" on values. You can probably count on selling price being about half what that publication lists. The way the car presents itself to a potential buyer is EVERYTHING to the value. Get it cleaned up and sitting in an area that is clean and organized if you want top dollar, show that the car has been cared for and buyers will generally pay more than if it is just sitting outside a shop surrounded by a lot of loose parts.

Guest AlCapone

I am usually on the low side on these issues but in this case if it runs and needs no more than a tuneup I would think you should advertise it at $2200 and take offers. When you get offered $1500 or more think seriously about selling it. $500 is ridiculous !

Wayne

Place an ad on ebay with a low starting bid of under $500.00, but put a reserve price on it of $2,500 or whatever you decide. I'm just using $2,500 as an example.

Even if it doesn't sell, the bids if any will give you an idea of what it is worth. What the market is for this type of car.

Take lots of good pictures and write a detailed ad.

No way should you give it away for $500.00!

Edited by Sweepspear (see edit history)

• 4 months later...