Hello everybody, I'm the new guy.

Guest Sky53Lark

Guest Sky53Lark

Just joined today and wanted to say hello to everybody. I have a 1953 skylark I plan on working on very soon was hoping to get pointed in the right direction in finding were to get transmission parts/complete rebuild kits if they are available. Also if anybody has done the complete torque tube removal personally any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

last question for the day what kind of car detailer/cleaner is safe to use on the original urethane paint?

Edited by Sky53Lark (see edit history)

Welcome, Sky. You will find a lot of friendly folks lurking here with a wealth of knowledge. I am not too familiar with your car, but I am sure others will be along shortly to help you. Also, if you scroll down below the General Forum, you will find a whole section devoted to Buick. You may want to post there also. Good luck with your project and keep us informed on your progress.

Guest Sky53Lark

So what kind of cleaner/detailer is safe to use on lacquer paint? Restorer32 this car is not fully restored its original for the most part. I'm sure some pieces have been redone but to my knowledge it was only trim pieces and the convertible top. My grandfather owned it since new and passed it down to me when he passed a few years back. I know what the car is worth and want to get it running. Last time it ran my father and grandfather had fixed the trans seals but than he stopped driving the car again and all the seals went bad. It did run when it was parked. Probably haven't been started in at least 20 years.

thank you for the links commodore.

Value will of course depend on condition. These are very expensive cars to work on what with all the chrome, wire wheels, extensive hydraulic system (top, windows, seat) etc. Hopefully yours will clean up to where you can enjoy it as is. You can likely expect problems with the brakes if it has been sitting and possibly the hydraulics. It would be nice if you would post pics here. Bill Stitt in New Alexandria, PA is your go to guy for parts or advice on '53 Skylarks.