1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 Convertible

Guest Stuedbaker

Guest Stuedbaker

Back in my young and dumb days [i'm old now and still not too smart]

I briefly owned a 1963 2+2 convertible. I THINK !

This was around 1970. White body, top and interior. Bucket seats.

No pictures, no paperwork kept, nothing but a memory of the badges on the car.

Over the years I have tried to find out if there actually WAS such a beast, or if I am imagining things.

I haven't found anything.

Was there a 2+2 Grand Prix in 1963 ?

Thanks for any information.

• 3 months later...

Supersix is right about 64 being the 1st year for the 2+2, it was basically a trim option for the Catalina. However, the 62 and 63 GPs were available as a convertible, it was discontinued for 64.

So... it's possible for you to have had a 63 GP convertible, but it wouldn't have been a 2+2. You also could have had a 64 Catalina convertible with the 2+2 trim package. The 2+2, in 64 was an interior trim pkg. more than anything, bucket seats and a console. In 65 it was also a performance pkg. with the 421ci engine and a 3 speed floor shift as standard equipment, 4 speed and automatic were optional.

Supersix is right about 64 being the 1st year for the 2+2, it was basically a trim option for the Catalina. However, the 62 and 63 GPs were available as a convertible, it was discontinued for 64.

So... it's possible for you to have had a 63 GP convertible, but it wouldn't have been a 2+2. You also could have had a 64 Catalina convertible with the 2+2 trim package. The 2+2, in 64 was an interior trim pkg. more than anything, bucket seats and a console. In 65 it was also a performance pkg. with the 421ci engine and a 3 speed floor shift as standard equipment, 4 speed and automatic were optional.

Where is verification of any production '62 or '63 Grand Prix convertibles? Never saw one or read of any regular production cars.

no factory built or offered grand prix convertibles except for one year, 1967, now oldsmobile's starfire starting in 1962, was offered in both a hardtop and a convertible. 30,195 1962 pontiac grand prix's were made, all were two door hardtops, not one convertible 64GP.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

past poci's historian

poci