Ebay "1925 Dodge Other Pickups"

I'm rather surprised this already got a $5500 bid considering many other proper cars haven't sold....... :confused:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291195678463?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I am REALLY surprised considering it looks to be an altered touring car and NOT a truck as stated in the ad.

The wheel base doesn't look long enough to be a Touring car

If you look at the side behind the door, you can see the leading edge of the rear door opening. There is a step plate under what used to be the door. There are exposed bolt holes in the rear fenders. A truck would have none of those features. Here is a 1925 touring car....

post-37352-143142631587_thumb.jpg

Just shows how many folks have no idea what they actually have and how they can convince themselves that these things are real. Really sad is the fact that someone will buy it thinking that it is a real truck and probably get good money out of it!

Did they ever make a Victory Six truck ? Well, someone did.... or tried to anyway...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]260436[/ATTACH]

Dodge Brothers did not make a Victory Six truck.

It is sad that many of the old cars were made into "commercial Vehicles" but that's what they did back then when times were tough Also during the war a person got extra gas coupons if you had a truck as they were deemed a necessary vehicle whereas a sedan did not Hence many cars got the chop I believe that was th fate of the Ford iv the other post Ron

Did they ever make a Victory Six truck ? Well, someone did.... or tried to anyway...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]260436[/ATTACH]

note the wire junction on firewall above the steering box. Too many wire terminals for a truck. My 29 DB series E truck has only three terminals. Yap it's was a passenger car to start.

Dave is this a local find?

note the wire junction on firewall above the steering box. Too many wire terminals for a truck. My 29 DB series E truck has only three terminals. Yap it's was a passenger car to start.

What car-truck are you asking? The one I posted is in our inventory.

Yeah it's a local find and an obvious conversion (sorry folks that was just my weak attempt at humor in post#11...), thought some would find the vehicle interesting...

Actually has some good parts I'm going to retrieve on my next trip out in hopes of helping others who may need them down the road someday for restoration projects. Has the full running gear in it still with the correct M code engine. This was the donor I was planning on tearing into in order to retrieve parts I needed for my trans but thanks to your help I won't need to now ;).

One thing that I did find interesting when I looked at this vehicle originally was that there was a Budd Steel ID tag placed on the outside of the drivers side cowl. That was a first, doubt it was original ... or was it ?

post-69994-143142634677_thumb.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Guest 1935du
It is sad that many of the old cars were made into "commercial Vehicles" but that's what they did back then when times were tough Also during the war a person got extra gas coupons if you had a truck as they were deemed a necessary vehicle whereas a sedan did not Hence many cars got the chop I believe that was th fate of the Ford iv the other post Ron

Kind of like this old thing.

post-99057-143142635495_thumb.jpg

post-99057-143142635498_thumb.jpg

post-99057-143142635499_thumb.jpg

I told the guy about it not being a truck originally, and he wrote back and thanked me, but as you can see, he has not changed the listing. Can that be considered fraud if he doesn't reveal that to the new owner?

Guest 1935du

there is a little ( report item ) button you can use in the listing. If he is misrepresenting this item, perhaps it should be reported

Seeing as how it APPEARS to be a truck....... :rolleyes: .......technically the seller isn't being entirely fraudulent.

Caveat emptor applies as well I imagine.

What happens after the seller is informed of his error is anybody's guess.......I guess......

Is the coupe/truck on Ebay.. if so, maybe he doesn't know how to make additions or revise the auction ? He can't change the heading or the description once it receives a bid as I'm sure you all know.

As for the truck on topic,

still at $6000

Is the coupe/truck on Ebay.. if so, maybe he doesn't know how to make additions or revise the auction ? He can't change the heading or the description once it receives a bid as I'm sure you all know.

As for the truck on topic,

still at $6000

Yes, but he CAN post the questions and answers which would tell the story. I just think that he wants to believe it is a very rare truck.

Yes, but he CAN post the questions and answers which would tell the story. I just think that he wants to believe it is a very rare truck.

John, you'd be surprised how many folks don't even know how to do that.

I've had to point out so many things to other ebay buyers and sellers that I feel like I should have an Ebay plaque on my wall by now for "almostemployee" of the month

He probably is being deceitful though.....

I see a lot of this. People bid when there is a reserve. No commitment.

GUILTY ! (Am I the only one ?)

I have to admit I've done that before just to have the joy of bidding on something I knew was out of my reach. Dumb I know but I've only done it once and it was scary enough that one time that I'll never do it again.... I had a thought when I did it of "Oh CRAP,, knowing my luck I'd hit the reserve and have to come up with cash I never really wanted to spend to begin with". Luckily I was still on the low end and was a cheap lesson learned.

I've also had reserves on items I sold in the past and can always tell by the bidding activity who is bidding just for the sake of bidding and who is serious about making a purchase. I've noticed the newbies and dreamers are the low bidders but once it reaches an obvious risk point you only see those who have the dough to back it up that continue to bid.

Just like right now, do any of the dreamers have the guts to pull the trigger and bid $7000 ? If they do, they may very well be the winning bidder unexpectedly. The price is definitely in that high risk area now so the game players should know to back off at this point before they get burnt.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Guest 1935du
GUILTY ! (Am I the only one ?)

I have to admit I've done that before just to have the joy of bidding on something I knew was out of my reach. Dumb I know but I've only done it once and it was scary enough that one time that I'll never do it again.... I had a thought when I did it of "Oh CRAP,, knowing my luck I'd hit the reserve and have to come up with cash I never really wanted to spend to begin with". Luckily I was still on the low end and was a cheap lesson learned.

I've also had reserves on items I sold in the past and can always tell by the bidding activity who is bidding just for the sake of bidding and who is serious about making a purchase. I've noticed the newbies and dreamers are the low bidders but once it reaches an obvious risk point you only see those who have the dough to back it up that continue to bid.

Just like right now, do any of the dreamers have the guts to pull the trigger and bid $7000 ? If they do, they may very well be the winning bidder unexpectedly. The price is definitely in that high risk area now so the game players should know to back off at this point before they get burnt.

Me to, I like to dream but reality soon sets in.

So.....what do you guys think that this misrepresented "truck" SHOULD go for? Realistic assessments, please....

His opening bid was over my realistic figure also. I do not see anything that tells if the truck even runs or is worth that asking price...

This is what I believe is happening with this vehicle:

By the looks of "DEADMAN ROLLING" in Roseville CA it appears the bidders are careless members of the ratrod/hotrod community and not the purist crowd who care about the history. I'm sure the vehicle is more of a religious experience for the potential buyers who almost always are unrealistic from my experience. I can't count the ratrods we've all seen that go up for sale for $15-16K that are heaps worth around $6K in parts. The fad will pass one day and when it does the bubble will burst and reality will set in.

Can someone explain to me why someone would list a vehicle like this for such a high starting bid in the condition this thing is in and why they would put a reserve on it at that point ? Seems very foolish because of the fee they are charged right off the top even if it doesn't sell.

Some folks have money to burn I suppose....