1988 Reatta - How Hard to Add a RKE from a 1989?

Guest Dan Gibbs

Guest Dan Gibbs

Hey All :)

Subject line asks my question. I've gotten so used to remote keyless entry on my last few cars, that I'm wanting it more and more on the '88.

I've heard that there's a wireless receiver module that mounts in the trunk between the window and trunklid area but is there anything else?

Is the wiring harness for it separate or integrated into everything else?

I can't understand why they didn't put this as standard equipment on a car this expensive.

Dan

Without an '88 FSM to verify the wiring, I would say that adding in the RKE on an '88 is likely NOT a reasonable probability. There is wiring between the RKE and various other components such as the BCM, the Theft Deterrent module, Transmission position indicator, and the door locks via relays. The RKE is pretty much integrated rather than being a stand alone module.

As to why it was NOT on the '88, that one is simple, GM did not offer it on ANY car until the '89 model year. The Reatta was among those few luxury models that got the RKE in '89 and it was STANDARD, while being an option on most other GM models that did offer it.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Actually, the RKE in 89 piggybacked on a lot of the already existing wiring that was in place that interfaced with the door locks, theft deterrent module, key locks, BCM etc.

You can tap into most of that wiring at the splices under the seats and maybe the area at the outside of the driver's footwell by the door.

Would need a working RKE module with hopefully the antenna cable and connector pigtails and a couple of FOBs which you may already have for your other cars.

Mounting location of the RKE could easily be in the trunk or rear passenger area as done in the coupes and verts. You can make up a dipole loop antenna and lay inside the rear window easily enough.

Not for the faint of heart. but not that difficult of a project of your comfortable with cutting and splicing into your cars wiring, and digging down to get at it.

I think some folks on the forum have done this before and can also help on giving guidance to you if you decide to take this on.

why not grag an after market RKE or alarm. it would be an easier install and allow for more options to be used. I wired mine to roll the windows up/down, lock/unlock the doors, open the fuel door, and open the trunk. I still have a few other controls if I decide I want to use them, and the whole thing cost $125 with a supposed (have not checked) one mile range.

My 88 has keyless entry that was installed by the dealer when they bought it. I have the paperwork for it in the car. I will try to locate it and post the info from it. It was a GM product. Not sure what it controls other then door locks. I have not messed with it because I am trying to solve the other issues getting it road worthy again.

I looked into this for my 88 to the point of assembling all of the parts needed but never got a roundtuit. I did wire up a mockup and everything worked with one exception: on an 89 or 90 one press of the key unlocked the driver's door and two presses unlocked the passenger side also. In the 88 one press unlocked everything.

It can be done with other systems but by using the Buick module the anti-theft stayed happy. Suspect others do now also. I also have the compass module whilch is easier.

I thought about adding factory RKE to my 88 much like Padgett and even got the module, harness section and antenna coax. It is still in a box of parts.

The more I consider it, I'd rather install an aftermarket remote start/keyless entry system as it would be more useful. As long as it will play nice with the factory security system I think this will be the way to go. Not sure when I'll ever get to it but that is my plan.

KDirk