Wanted 48 Packard Radiator & Gas Tank

Three different engines; 288ci, 327ci, and 356ci have different cooling requirements. The 356/327 take 20 quarts of liquid, while the 288 takes 18 quarts. I'm pretty sure the 356 radiator is larger than the one for the 327 (the Custom has an additional 7 inches in wheelbase all forward of the cowl to accomodate it). The 356 has a 5 bladed fan while the 288/327 have 4 blades.

First the radiator. I assume you don't have a radiator that you can have re-cored.

According to the parts manual the following 22nd Series (1948-mid 1949) cars used the same radiator as your chassis/model 2232:

post-54089-143142632972_thumb.jpg

Photo Credit: PackardInfo.com

Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan

Deluxe Eight Club Sedan

Super Eight Touring Sedan

Super Eight Club Sedan

Super Eight Victoria Convertible Coupe

These are the only cars with the same radiator assembly part number (418785).

I think it's possible that a radiator from a 23rd series car (mid 1949-1950) would work. Maybe from a 2302 chassis car. I don't think a radiator from a 2332 would work since Packard really upgraded the Super Victoria for the 23rd series, 127 inch wheelbase and a lot of the trim from a Custom but I'm not sure.

The gas tank.

To the best of my knowledge there are no new tanks being produced for the 'Clipper' style Packards (1941-1950). Kanter Bros. just started selling new tanks for the 1951-1954 cars but those won't fit.

If I were you, I'd start by calling Kanter and/or Max Merritt and see what they might have for your car. Radiators and gas tanks occasionally appear on ebay/craigslist.

Thanks for the info. Our car did not have either. We just located a radiator. So now need tank. Have been watching ebay. Have to trust the listing due to not knowing what it looks like. I dislike the ads where they list. Could fit, you be judge. Lol. This project is going to be the biggest my father and I have taken on. There seems to be a lot involved in the Packards.

Here's a photo of a 17 gallon tank. I think the 20 gallon looks the same. Note the 'whistle' between the vent tube and tank. While filling, the tank whistles until it's 1 gallon from the top to prevent spill-over. Always starts a conversation at the gas station (as if the car itself didn't).

post-54089-143142640113_thumb.jpg

Photo Credit: PackardInfo.com / David Grubbs