Fan Plan

Guest clamshells

Guest clamshells

I have a idea to convert my 65 dual quad project car AKA The Ghost to electric fan radiator cooling. I'd like to utilize the AC shroud for a stock look possibly incorporating a after market fan into the stock shroud. I have my eye on the Lincoln Mark VIII 2 speed fan, the downsides to the Ford fan it requires two controllers (temp sending units) and pulls 25 amps on low and up to 42 running on high.

My experience running a electric fan on my 66 was constant engine temps even in traffic with the AC on, instant horsepower increase. The downside was a toggle switch.

My idea is to develop a modern controlled application for all 1st Gens keeping as stock as possible look (fan in stock shroud & relays & controls hidden) from all excluding the trained eye of another early Riv owner.

Here is some info for anyone interested. http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1111_electric_radiator_fans/

Any of you guys with experience Pro or Con by all means post it.

Mike

I have a idea to convert my 65 dual quad project car AKA The Ghost to electric fan radiator cooling. I'd like to utilize the AC shroud for a stock look possibly incorporating a after market fan into the stock shroud. I have my eye on the Lincoln Mark VIII 2 speed fan, the downsides to the Ford fan it requires two controllers (temp sending units) and pulls 25 amps on low and up to 42 running on high.

My experience running a electric fan on my 66 was constant engine temps even in traffic with the AC on, instant horsepower increase. The downside was a toggle switch.

My idea is to develop a modern controlled application for all 1st Gens keeping as stock as possible look (fan in stock shroud & relays & controls hidden) from all excluding the trained eye of another early Riv owner.

Here is some info for anyone interested. http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1111_electric_radiator_fans/

Any of you guys with experience Pro or Con by all means post it.

Mike

You will need to update the charging system if you are adding an accessory which will consume 42 amps. Not a big deal, a bolt in with integral regulator and some simple wiring upgrades will get you to a shade over 100 amp output...just worth mentioning.

Tom

Seems like too much trouble. A clean, functional cooling system with good radiator & fan clutch will keep a '60s Riviera with air conditioning at nearly constant engine temperature even in our Texas summers. I know from having a '66 brand new back in the day, plus the '66 that I have now. These cars have excellent stock cooling systems when everything is right.

Guest clamshells
You will need to update the charging system if you are adding an accessory which will consume 42 amps. Not a big deal, a bolt in with integral regulator and some simple wiring upgrades will get you to a shade over 100 amp output...just worth mentioning.

Tom

Upgrading the charging system is easy. #1 Finding locations for the two sending units. Running a mechanical temp gauge takes up both factory locations in the heads, can both sending units be fitted in the radiator leaving both locations in the heads one for the stock sender and one for the mechanical gauge. #2 Finding the right fan unit the first time, one that can be altered and fabricated inside or into the AC shroud.

Guest Im4darush

Mike,

I have run electric fans on lots of different cars. Your obvious goal is to cover as much radiator area as you can. Your idea of keeping the factory shroud will limit you in a few ways. First you will have to use on larger fan as opposed to two. Second, since your one fan will be against the radiator, you will not have the benefit of any shroud and will only be pulling air in the area where your fan is mounted. If you look at your factory fan, you will see that it sits just inside the shroud and away from the radiator. What that does is create flow across the entire radiator as the fan is pulling air through it and the shroud. That is what you want. I would bet that you lose cooling if you mount just one single electric fan in the area where the shroud is. If you want to switch over to electric, I would think you should lose the factory shroud, and get a shroud for the electric one. And with that, I would probably mount two electric fans instead of one. There are fan kits out there that come with shrouds as well as all the wiring and needed temp sensors. Take a look at them. Also remember one other thing...with a factory fan clutch you are getting unrestricted air coming through the radiator at speed. Mount an electric fan/shroud and now believe it or not you are restricting the flow through the radiator especially if you have a custom shroud with one fan in the center. I would go with a dual fan setup, and if you look hard enough you may be able to find shrouds that have windows in them covered with rubber flaps. This will allow air to flow through the shroud and through your radiator. Your goal is to have air moving across the entire area of the radiator not only at idle, but also at 70 mph. And last but not least, get fans that pull a good amount of air.

Guest clamshells
Seems like too much trouble. A clean, functional cooling system with good radiator & fan clutch will keep a '60s Riviera with air conditioning at nearly constant engine temperature even in our Texas summers. I know from having a '66 brand new back in the day, plus the '66 that I have now. These cars have excellent stock cooling systems when everything is right.

I like trouble.

The cross flow replaced the down flow, so yes your 66 has a better cooling system from the factory than my 1st Gen.

The Ghost's KW is at least .030 over.

Guest clamshells
Mike,

I have run electric fans on lots of different cars. Your obvious goal is to cover as much radiator area as you can. Your idea of keeping the factory shroud will limit you in a few ways. First you will have to use on larger fan as opposed to two. Second, since your one fan will be against the radiator, you will not have the benefit of any shroud and will only be pulling air in the area where your fan is mounted. If you look at your factory fan, you will see that it sits just inside the shroud and away from the radiator. What that does is create flow across the entire radiator as the fan is pulling air through it and the shroud. That is what you want. I would bet that you lose cooling if you mount just one single electric fan in the area where the shroud is. If you want to switch over to electric, I would think you should lose the factory shroud, and get a shroud for the electric one. And with that, I would probably mount two electric fans instead of one. There are fan kits out there that come with shrouds as well as all the wiring and needed temp sensors. Take a look at them. Also remember one other thing...with a factory fan clutch you are getting unrestricted air coming through the radiator at speed. Mount an electric fan/shroud and now believe it or not you are restricting the flow through the radiator especially if you have a custom shroud with one fan in the center. I would go with a dual fan setup, and if you look hard enough you may be able to find shrouds that have windows in them covered with rubber flaps. This will allow air to flow through the shroud and through your radiator. Your goal is to have air moving across the entire area of the radiator not only at idle, but also at 70 mph. And last but not least, get fans that pull a good amount of air.

Not my first conversion from a belt driven fan to electric, then again I never considered keeping the factory shroud, temp sender (love that COLD light when I start the car) & mechanical gauge.

Good info I4

My idea is to fabricate a 18" fan into the factory shroud for the full area draw. The Ford fan has all the power and reliability over a aftermarket 15 amp fan.

"windows with rubber flaps'?....................talk to me like I am 5 years old so I understand.

Mike

Guest clamshells

Stopped and low speeds the fans would actually suck the windows closed forcing the air through the Rad as increased speed would create a neutral pressure and freeway speed allowing positive pressure they open and flow through?

See the Ford fan has its own shroud and covers all but 3 1/4" with some two stage and stock could easily cover the entire surface. OR building that fan into the stock shroud for a totally stock appearance. http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1111_electric_radiator_fans/photo_02.html

Controller/sending unit locations are next on the block ;-)

The smoke is from me thinking out loud.

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)