FYI 29 Franklin 236 engine Delco Remy Distributor is the same as early Chevrolet 216

rustrodsrule

I have been an old Chevy guy for years. When looking at My Franklin distributor I noticed how much it looked like a Early Chevy. Well I was right the cap rotor and points are the same. Went to my Napa dealer and had him pull a cap rotor and points for a 1940 Chevy 216 cu in engine they are identical.

FYI Mike

A lot of people converted their Franklin distributor to a Chevy Delco version. My 1921 and 1929 Franklins both have been converted to 55-57 Chevy 6 cylinder.

I recall that Joe Hafner, one of the founding members of the Franklin Club, wrote an article on how to customize a Chevy Delco distributor to fit Franklins.

Joe lived in the San Diego / Temecula / El Cajon area and was an excellent mechanic. He had a million Franklin stories. His wife owned a circa 1915-18 Franklin roadster that had never been driven by a man. The woman sold it to Joe's wife provided she promise that no man ever drive the car.

I'm told that one time on a tour Joe's wife (Midge) got bit by a black widow spider. Joe had to drive her to the hospital in the car. After the incident Midge called the woman who sold the car to beg forgiveness that Joe had been forced to drive the woman-only Franklin. The woman forgave Joe and Midge and all was OK.

Don't know where that roadster is today.

Maybe some of you can tell me if this is one of the Chevy distributors. It is the distributor that was on my 1923 10-B when I bought it. I know it is not Franklin original. It seems to work ok. I wonder if it has the right advance curve. Also, it would be nice to know its origin if I ever have to buy points or a rotor or a cap. Frank Pennypacker

post-84780-143142635556_thumb.jpg

I do not know Franklins, but I know that distributor cap.

It is the Delco six cylinder starting in the early sixties. 62 to 69 Corvair. Also Chevy II (Nova) 62 up until HEI. Big Chevys still had the 235 in 62, so 63 up to HEI for Biscaynes, Bel Airs, Impalas and Caprices. HEI is 1974?

I hope this helps.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg. VA

Edited by Frank DuVal
Mistyped (see edit history)

I do not know Franklins, but I know that distributor cap.

It is the Delco six cylinder starting in the early sixties. 62 to 69 Corvair. Also Chevy II (Nova) 62 up until HEI. Big Chevys still had the 235 in 62, so 63 up to HEI for Biscaynes, Bel Airs, Impalas and Caprices. HEI is 1974?

I hope this helps.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg. VA

That helps, Thanks