Sharing my Antique Car with others to Enjoy

LarryP

Although a member of AACA for several years, I only recently purchased my first antique car – a 1930 Model A Ford, rumble seat coupe.

While I’ve enjoyed every aspect of the car (getting it running after a 25 year slumber; driving it; talking to other A owners), the thing I like the best about having my A is the social aspect. Every time it’s out of the garage, friends and neighbors stop by to chat. When I drive it to work or to the store, colleagues and strangers alike strike up brief conversations.

The best by far, though, was last week when I took my A to my first car show as an exhibitor. While many of the approximately 200 cars had signs saying something to the effect of “Please look, but do not touch,” I put a sign on my Model A that said “Please DO touch this car, and sit the kids in the rumble seat for a picture.”

I had kids climbing in and out of the rumble seat all night long, or sitting behind the steering wheel pretending to drive. Parents and grand-parents alike were so pleased to see their kids with smiles on their faces enjoy this cool old car. And the biggest smile of all during the night was on my face. I had so much fun creating memories for those kids and discussing the virtues of a Model A with everyone who stopped by.

As for damage to the car, I had none. No tears to the seats, no broken bits, and no scratched paint – Not that I could tell if the paint was scratched though, as the paint on this 30+ year-old restoration is pretty rough. And that is one of the things that I liked about the car when I considered purchasing it. It is complete, solid, looks nice, but it’s far from perfect – so I knew I would not have to worry about scratches or paint chips.

I hope others will consider letting more people enjoy their antique cars but letting people actually touch and sit in their cars. I completely understand why you would not if you have a great paint-job or a rare car. But for those who have little to lose, give it a shot. Remember – they’re only cars. Paint will fade anyhow, and the upholstery will decay – but those memories we create can last a lifetime, and will help to build the future of the car collecting hobby.

I took a friend's grandson for a ride in my 1931 DB business coupe about 10 years ago. He was about 10 years old. He still raves about the great experience he had in that car. I always try to encourage kids (and adults) to learn about older cars. It is what will keep the hobby going.

My father in law, and best friend, used to tell me " don't make them so nice that your won't let your kids eat an ice cream in the car"

GREAT ADVISE

My kids and half the kids in town have gone for rides in our cars

Thanks Larry for starting this thread

Wow, what a great post and thread.

When you let folks of all ages enjoy them they never forget it. I've had 2 vehicles from the pre-32 era with wood wheels and both times I had kids from 4 years old to 80 years old who loved climbing and touching them.

I can safely say that seeing Bonnie & Clyde's shot up Plymouth while on tour when I was a kid gave me a passion for pre-war cars and trucks as a young boy. If it wasn't for that trip on that cold winter day who knows if I would have any appreciation for them or not.

"Never underestimate the impact you make in another persons life"...

As a teenager, my dad would let me take any of his cars and he had some pretty good ones. I used my mom's XK140 on dates. My brother used his Packard Darrin for a prom. I can still remember trying to shift is 812 Cord at a stop light - it was funky.

Guest marlin65

Yes I do the same with my un-restored 1960 Corvair at our monthly cruise-in. I stay by the car and answer many many questions (usually about Ralph Nader). I let a woman sit behind the wheel once and the tears just flowed. Her parents had a Corvair just like it and she got her drivers license on it. She could not thank me enough but the street rod guy next to me was furious that I would let someone do that and that no one was looking at his wheeled abortion.

I've also encountered at shows the "grumpy old man" syndrome. Ask them a question about their car and they usually just grunt or ignore you. My question is why are you here? If you don't want attention then leave the car in the garage!!!! Ed Dade City,fl

I'm going to be the wet blanket. It is good to support the hobby and get young people involved. But in this litigious society in which we live, when junior stumbles getting out of the car and bumps his precious head, and Mommy and Daddy hire the best lawyer they can find to sue you for all you've got, I think I'll leave my Do Not Touch signs on my car.

Guest AlCapone
My father in law, and best friend, used to tell me " don't make them so nice that your won't let your kids eat an ice cream in the car"

GREAT ADVISE

My kids and half the kids in town have gone for rides in our cars

Thanks Larry for starting this thread

Your father in law was a kind and considerate man that I am sure was admired by many.

Wayne

I'm going to be the wet blanket. It is good to support the hobby and get young people involved. But in this litigious society in which we live, when junior stumbles getting out of the car and bumps his precious head, and Mommy and Daddy hire the best lawyer they can find to sue you for all you've got, I think I'll leave my Do Not Touch signs on my car.

I understand your concerns Pete. As an attorney myself, I am not too concerned with this issue though. First, I have auto insurance that will cover liability for true accidents (junior slipping and falling), the car show hosts have insurance, and if all else fails, I have a personal umbrella policy to protect me from such things.

More importantly, though, is that I believe the prevalence of such incidents is not as great as perceived by many. Yes, accidents happen. Most of the time, people simply pick themselves up and move on - with no lawsuits filed. When lawsuits are filed, it is usually one insurance company trying to collect the cost of medical care from another insurance company. I'm not sure that's fair in such an incident, but that is why we have insurance - let the insurance companies work this out among themselves.

Ultimately, I feel life is too short to let the fear of a lawsuit restrict my reasonable actions. As long as I am acting in good faith and taking reasonable precautions, I will proceed to do what I think is in the best interest of both me and society as a whole.

Good luck, and enjoy your car!

I also enjoy letting folks sit in my '29 Dodge as well as taking them for rides. I even let neighbors and friends drive it, which they really like as the vast majority of people have never set in one that old, much less ridden in one. Everyone I take for a ride is amazed at how quiet and smooth riding it is. That's the reason I have these old cars (and tractors)

I understand your concerns Pete. As an attorney myself, I am not too concerned with this issue though. First, I have auto insurance that will cover liability for true accidents (junior slipping and falling), the car show hosts have insurance, and if all else fails, I have a personal umbrella policy to protect me from such things.

More importantly, though, is that I believe the prevalence of such incidents is not as great as perceived by many. Yes, accidents happen. Most of the time, people simply pick themselves up and move on - with no lawsuits filed. When lawsuits are filed, it is usually one insurance company trying to collect the cost of medical care from another insurance company. I'm not sure that's fair in such an incident, but that is why we have insurance - let the insurance companies work this out among themselves.

Ultimately, I feel life is too short to let the fear of a lawsuit restrict my reasonable actions. As long as I am acting in good faith and taking reasonable precautions, I will proceed to do what I think is in the best interest of both me and society as a whole.

Good luck, and enjoy your car!

All true. But despite all that, you would still have the hassle of dealing with the consequences, even if no money comes directly out of your pocket. And even if only 1 out of 100 people would sue, that's 1 too many for me. Better off to avoid the nastiness altogether.

I believe that people not wanting others to sit in their less-than-perfect

old cars may not realize the experienced (and inspired) truths and

legal principles that Larry sees. To each his own, as they say, but

accidents are far from prevalent. Who has 100 accidents with his car

for which one person might sue? And who is to say that such a high

rate, 1 of 100, is even correct? After all, we all drive, play sports,

and construct steps at our front doors fearlessly and with proper insurance.

Life is great, and one shouldn't miss out on spreading joy to others.

Larry's explanation of legal principles should smooth any doubts.

The A.A.C.A. Museum show every year even advertises RIDES

in antique cars. I'm sure the car owners enjoy sharing--and newcomers love it!

Larry, you have an excellent way of explaining things. Can you address those fears?

If you are so worried about lawsuits, maybe you should reconsider a bubble to live in to protect you from the SMALL chance of a moron attack (they are out there, but we can't let the morons win!). I refuse to let paranoia ruin my fun and love for smiles. I have let so many people drive my Amphicar and countless others ride or sit in it. I would hate to think that all those memories would never exist if I had allowed paranoia to make me a prisoner. Share your love!