E Brakes - 1915 Model 22

Jerry Alexander

Has anyone had experience in "freeing" the e brakes on this type of vehicle? The ones on this car seem to be frozen in place. I have sprayed some Liquid Wrench on them in hopes that would free them but that didn't do the trick. I presume I will have to remove each wheel to gain access to the brakes, then what?

BTW, on July 17th, I helped a local person celebrate his 99th birthday. He and the car share the same 'birth year'. We tied some balloons on the car and took him for a ride around town. We had a ball! Unfortunately the radiator sprung a leak and I had to cut the ride short due to over heating. This will be the 3rd time I will have had the radiator repaired in our 3 years of ownership of this car. Seems to be an annual thing! ;-) The local media, print and electronic covered this human interest story. It even made the front page of the paper! :) If I ever figure out how to attach pictures/video to these messages I will share with you. Now most people in this area of the country, western Illinois, knows there is such a vehicle as a Metz! Her next outing will be in early August to be a part of the "Old Threshermen's Reunion". It is fun to show her off and this car draws people to her.

I thank you in advance for your assistance with the e brake problem.

Jerry

Driver side rear brake Metz.jpg

passenger side rear brake pic 3.jpg

Passenger rear brake pic 2.jpg

Rear Brakes for 1915 Metz Model 22.jpg

passenger rear brake 1915 Metz.jpg

Phil, I hope you can open the photos I took this evening of the rear brakes. From your description I believe they are very similar to yours. The 'shoes' are frozen in place. When I depress the pedal, which controls both brakes, the shoes do not move but the rods that drive the brakes flexes. So I know the pedal and rods are free moving. BTW, the pedal has 'teeth' as a part of the design which allows the operator to set the brake, open, partially closed or closed (fully engaging the brake). I hate to take a hammer and bang on the shoes for fear of shattering them. I have soaked (well heavily sprayed) the shoes with 'Liquid Wrench' which is a solvent designed to free metals. Any ideas?

Thanks, Jerry

Couldn't view the photos, Jerry. Yes, that's how my brakes work. I assume from your description that the brake cam is not moving? Once the wheels are off, remove the shoes. You have to pry them open a bit for clearance, but they should come right off. You can now access the cam. Disconnect the brake rods and use PB Blaster or the like on the cam shaft, then try wiggling it slightly with a monkey wrench on the connector. It may take a few days for the rust to break free. Here is a link to my list of "stuck part" tricks. Some heat from a propane torch might help, too. The cam should move easily. Don't whack it, though.

Phil

Sorry you could not get the pictures open. I am not exactly sure what a "PB Blaster" is but will learn. I will be very tempted to whack the stuck parts but will re-frame as per your advice. However that would be a good frustration relief! ;-) Thanks for sharing your wisdom. It is appreciated.

Jerry