Gas Tank Restoration

Packard Don

Some years ago I had a source who could actually restore a gas tank by taking it apart, cleaning it thoroughly and removing any dents, then putting it back together again with fresh plating but I've lost their contact information. I need a new tank, or to have the original tank restored, for my 1965 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special. I know there are "reproduction" tanks that look beautiful but I use the term "reproduction" loosely because they are about four gallons smaller for some odd reason. I'm not sure why they did that but it makes it a no-sale for me! Does anyone know of a good, reasonable restoration service or the manufacturer of the smaller ones to get a proper one made? Thank you.

Packard Don,

I have used Gas Tank Re-Nu in the past, and while not cheap (quality rarely is), they restored the tank on my 1941 Cadillac back around 2006 or 2007. It was an excellent job and continues to serve me well.

The prior coating in my tank had separated from the surfaces and had reduced the tank to 6 gallons capacity. Re-Nu appears to have cut the tank apart, stripped and cleaned and lined the interior, and restored the exterior.

I can recommend this service, and have no connection with the firm.

http://www.gastankrenu.com/

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Thank you. I'm actually looking for tank restoration. I've used similar services and got back a black painted tank which is not what I brought in! They worked well and didn't leak but looked terrible. Are you saying that Re-Nu removes dents and replates the tank for stock appearance?

I can't figure out why the "reproduction" tank, which otherwise looks so nice and is reasonably priced, was made in a smaller capacity than the original. My car is located so rurally that it takes miles just to get to a paved road so obviously I need full capacity!

Don,

I would suggest that you contact them and ask what they can do for you. My guess is that they will take your tank as far as you want them to, and if you don't want black paint - just work it out with the shop.

Guest counterpoint

Don,

is the tank located in San Jose Area. If so, i know a few people that can handle exactly what you need in the area without the hassle of shipping.

No, it is in Terrebonne, Oregon (actually in a very rural unincorporated area north of Terrebonne itself, which is north of rural Redmond, which is north of Bend). It is still installed in the car at my workshop. The problem is that I can be there for only a couple weeks at a time, several times each year and I was hoping to somehow have a tank shipped there and waiting for me when I got there later next month. Unfortunately, the current new replacements are for an earlier year that just happen to fit '65 and are several gallons less in capacity and, of course, physically smaller.

It's possible I could buy another tank, get it reworked here and shipped to Oregon, if one could be found cheaply enough but I doubt it. On the other hand, I could always ship mine from Oregon to myself here and have someone local do it if they could do the job properly and at reasonable cost, then ship it back to my shop. Can you PM me who is it is you know with their email or physical address? I'm profoundly deaf and do not readily use a telephone.

As for Re-Nu, apparently they were the company that I had talked with years ago as I wrote to them yesterday and got a reply today. I remembered immediately their somewhat vaguely sarcastic tone such this one today when I asked about removing the dents where he said "we are not a body shop" that had put me off the last time. Still, if they can do the job I can handle a little sarcasm, or even a lot for that matter!

Thank you for the replies and ideas.

Don, I've used these guys for my 1929 Cadillac tank. They did what you said you wanted. They took the tank apart and sandblasted the inside, they also re-welded the baffles inside the tank before sealing it up. Then Don, they asked me how I wanted the outside to look. I was real happy with the finished product. Here is their website. http://www.gas-tank.com/

Mike B in Ct

Thank you Philippe. My French is rusty (and so am I) but understood enough of the site to know that it's a product, not a service. I am looking for a service and based on what others have said and the company's own response to my inquiries, I'll try Re-Nu. I also see that there are some other threads about tank restoration here that I was unable to locate before I started this one

Many thanks to those who have sent PMs too - it is appreciated but most were too far away to drop in for a visit.