Stabilator & shock links

DSpringer

In replacing the front stablilator (stabilizer) bar bushings I had to heat the connections to the links to break them free, and fried the rubber inside the ball joints of the links. In researching replacement links, the Chasis Parts Catalog lists the same part number for the rear shock as for the front stabilator link (06-5492). These have the ball joints on opposite sides and are 4" long, whereas the ones I removed are 4-1/2" long.

No one seems to have the stock links but cuts and welds the HB-18056 (or 18055) links used on the front shocks to get the connections on opposite sides.

Anyone have any experience with this? How long are your stabilator links?

A couple years ago, I found someone selling Ford shock links on e-bay. Measure your center to center links carefully. I matched my front shock links with Ford station wagon units that had the same center to center distance. Seemed to work OK.

Abe

Guest 39 Pickup

To remove shock links, remove the nut and hold a body dolly on one side of the shock arm or stabilizer link and strike the other side with a 3# hammer a couple of times. Because of the taper, the shock trys to force the tapered link out.

Thanks for the tip on removing the shock arms without heat, and for the lead on links. I should have asked first. I was using a forked ball joint breaker, which worked on all but two joints without having to add heat.

I already purchased the welded, reversed links from Chris Herrell. Though they're a half inch shorter than what I took out they should work. Bless the Forum and all who contribute.