Repair or replace A-frame arm front suspension?

GarageStudios

Team,

I have taken apart my a-frame arms (front suspension) and the rear (wider part) that bolts onto the frame... The (don't know how to call them) eyelets that the arm pit swivels in... The screw pattern has worn due to rubbing over the years and has actually carved out a wider opening then the bolt..

can I fill and re-tap it? With my tap die set? Or should I try and replace the arms? My concern is I won't find the correct length / width and will lead to a new arm set front end..

part number 231734 gm 1937 Pontiac Sliverstreak...

please advise...

post-74294-143142628205_thumb.jpg

post-74294-14314262823_thumb.jpg

You've got your self a problem there. That's a forging and I'm pretty sure a higher carbon steel. If you fill with weld the hi carbon steel will mix into the weld puddle and make hard spots. That makes re-boring and tapping very problematic. In any case I don't think you can hand tap that big a hole. A very competent machine shop should be able to bore and sleeve the worn hole and mill or tap the threads in. Likely be far cheaper to replace it if you can find one..............Bob

• 1 month later...
It is possible the part is the same as Chev of the same year. Canadian Pontiacs shared a lot of Chev parts.

Yes, most parts comparable are from a Master 6 chevy. I'm searching, so far found the bars.. On eBay and Amazon.. And chevy of the 40's.. I can find most of the replacement, all except this side arm piece.. I am going to take it to a machine shop here in town, to see if it's possible to "fillin" the space after the bar is screwed in.. To keep the bar from shifting.. Anything to try and save the frame..

Rare Parts RP15425 Control Arm Shaft Kit

http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Parts-RP15425-Control-Shaft/dp/B002PN0UWS