Power steering pump replacement problem

tjthorson

Before I found out about the Lares company pumps (complete with tank, remanned here in the US) I had already ordered a Cardone pump, reused my tank, and replaced the O-rings. What PIA to do that job....

So now - after cleaning and painting all the brackets, pump, etc - the snout on the pump I have doesn't fit through the hole in the bracket. The snout measures almost 1/2" larger in diameter the the pump that came out. I figure I can grind the bracket a bit, it doesn't need much to fit - but before I start "customizing" parts - has anyone seen this? is it a known issue? The snout seems to be the same depth, the pulley shaft the same, and the keyway fits the pulley. I just want to be sure I have the right pump, and its just a known thing to grind the bracket a bit (where the arrow points in the picture).

Am I OK to grind that bracket to get it to fit?????

BTW - I don't have to return the core - this one worked OK - just was loud and leaked. Lares company - if you want the core - send me a label - Id be more then happy to send it to you.

post-52725-143142628169_thumb.jpg

post-52725-143142628103_thumb.jpg

post-52725-143142628127_thumb.jpg

post-52725-143142628149_thumb.jpg

I would hold on to your core to be sure you won't run into any problems with the pump you bought. That way if there is an issue you have a good rebuildable core. I believe the pump you received is off of a bit more modern heavy truck, not a Buick. The pumps look close but are not the same as I'm sure you have noticed. It is too bad you had to grind your bracket to make it fit. If you decide you would like to go with the original style in the future let me know and we can rebuild the core you have then.

Exactly correct - that top one is the one I got. The tank seems to fit fine, the bolts all line up, I only had to grind 1/8" or so. Its behind the pulley so no one will see it anyway. Thanks. As long as its OK for a while - I don't mind sending you the old one. If I were to reorder one - I would go to you anyway! :D